Crash recovery

I was listening to a recorded episode on audacity (only had the project file saved) and all of a sudden it sounded like the track wasn’t playing correctly. I get to my computer to see a spinning wheel and audacity crashed.

This project file was saved on a external hard drive. When opening the file from the hard drive again, it was pure silence. I never saved ANY changes. I know that audacity has directions for manual recovery but when I locate it and open the session data I only see what looks like a text file titled “audacity-lock-sarahmaclellan”

Is there any solution to this? The file was never saved with the silence and when it was recovered it only recovered the silenced file.

Any help would be appreciated!

What version of Audacity are you using? If it is 2.2.1, please upgrade to 2.2.2.

Did you use “Save Project As” multiple times to save versions of the project, without changing the project name?

– Bill

Hey Bill,

I recorded with and was listening on the updated version.

It was saved on my hard drive, file was opened via the hard drive and was not “saved as” yet as i hadn’t made any edits yet - was just listening.

-Sarah

Which version is that? Look in “Audacity menu > About Audacity” for the version number.

I am showing version 2.2.2

I’m trying to understand the sequence of events.

How did you record the “episode”?

Were you away from the computer, and playing a saved, previously-recorded project?

In what way did it “sound like the track wasn’t playing correctly”?

After the crash, rather than using Audacity’s recovery option, you instead opened the project file from the external hard drive?

By pure silence, do you mean that the track exists and has silence for the expected length of the recording?

– Bill