Import .ts files on Audacity 2.2.1 takes way longer

Hi - I have been using an old version of Audacity successfully for years but thought it was time I updated.

I deleted the old version and loaded Audacity 2.2.1 this morning on my Mac running MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3

I had trouble with loading the FFmpeg files - once downloaded, Audacity couldn’t find them and I couldn’t start importing any .ts.files (files come from my Humax TV recorder) after downloading but I scratched everything and started again.

Now I can start importing a .ts file but after 5 minutes or more, the file is still being imported. With the old version, these files (one hour radio programmes, about 500MB in size) were imported in about 2 minutes. I left one import going for 25 minutes. I hit ‘stop’ and about 75% had been downloaded. Maybe if I’d left it running for an hour it might have finished but that would be unworkable.

Any ideas?
Many thanks

one hour radio programmes, about 500MB in size

They’re 500MB in compressed, Transport Stream size. When Audacity decompresses them, they’re going to blow out to their full, uncompressed “WAV” size and worse, they’re going to go from 16 bit to 32-bit floating which is Audacity’s internal format suitable for editing special effects.

So your simple show is going to blow itself out to many GB of data while Audacity is importing it. My question is how you got away with two minutes in the older system.

A note: You don’t have to install one Audacity at a time. You can install each one in it’s own folder.
Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 17.58.11.png
Koz

Thanks for the reply. Well, I have imported quite a few of these files for editing now and many now seem to be 3 to 4 minutes. I’m on a brand new MacBook Pro with a flash drive so it ought to be quicker than it was on my old Mac - I ran Audacity on that for 4 years or more and 2 minutes was the norm!
From what you’ve said, there’s no reason it should be quicker than it is currently. I deleted the old version before I installed this latest version so no idea which version I was running before. But I know now that next time I can have both installed and I should install the next new version before deleting the old.

Thanks again.