How to attach a label/name/description to individual clips?

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

How to attach a label/name/description to individual clips?

Permanent link to this post Posted by EdC » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:42 pm

Audacity 2.2.1
MacOS 10.13.3 High Sierra

I am editing some long interviews, and want to move clips around chronologically while keeping track visually of what they contain. Searches have only turned up references to labels and label tracks. Initially I did set up a label track and added labels, but they aren't tied to the clips, so when I delete or move a bit of the interview, the labels are no longer underneath the clip they refer to.

How can I 'label' clips individually, or add visible descriptions to them, so that I can quickly tell what a clip is without having to listen to it? Or is there a way to anchor labels to particular clips?

Sorry if my terminology is off. By clips I mean separated sections of audio within a single track.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
EdC

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: How to attach a label/name/description to individual cli

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:06 pm

To move an audio clip and its label together:

1) Click and drag a selection to include the audio clip AND the label.

tracks000.png
tracks000.png (18.1 KiB) Viewed 112 times

2) Cut, or "Split Cut" the selection. This will remove the selected audio and the selected label(s), and copy them to the clipboard.

3) Select an audio track AND a label track at the position that you want to move the audio and label.
One way to do this is to click on an audio track at the position where you want to paste (this makes the audio track "selected" as can be seen by the highlighting of its left hand control panel), then use up/down cursors to move focus to the label track ("focus" is indicated by a yellow border to the track), then when the label track has focus, press the "Enter" key to toggle the track selection on.

4) Paste
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: How to attach a label/name/description to individual cli

Permanent link to this post Posted by EdC » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:16 pm

Thanks for the help Steve. I had tried doing something like that but failed to select both tracks when pasting, I think. Thank you for taking the time to explain the steps. I really appreciate it.
EdC

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Return to Mac OS X