Zoom Audacity Window

Audacity 2.2.1
OS-X 10.9.5

How do I zoom the Audacity work window such that the graphics get larger? I know you’re saying to yourself, silly goose, just Window > Zoom from the top menu bar.

Nope. That just rearranges all the graphic elements in a larger field. The elements themselves stay exactly the same size. View > Zoom only affects the show.

I suspect I can talk the Mac into doing it, but all that is going to do is start sharing pixels and get all fuzzy.

??

Koz

I’m not sure what you are asking. Is your question the same as: “Why doesn’t Audacity support high dpi displays?”

I suspect Koz is asking is:
“Why can’t I magnify (or diminish) my Audacity Window like I can with my browser(s) to make it all larger (smaller) ?”
Peter

“Why doesn’t Audacity support high dpi displays?”

No, not exactly…

This is a screen grab of the microphone to the left of the sound meter.
Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 02.39.58.png
Make it bigger in the program (which was the original goal). Zoom or change the size of the graphic elements. The microphone, the box around it, and the “L” and the “R”.

As near as I can tell, once Audacity establishes its work window graphics on a screen, they’re appropriate, but fixed. It seems to not matter what the screen is. Window > Zoom changes the “air” around the graphics, but the graphics stay exactly the same size.

Taken another way, That microphone is exactly 8mm tall no matter the zoom level. On a larger monitor, the microphone is 20mm tall…and fixed.

I suppose this could be a perception thing, that Audacity always makes a xxx pixel count microphone, but it’s a fixed number.

Koz

Same thing happens for me in Firefox, Chrome, Libre Office, Gimp … in fact, I can’t find any applications where toolbar icons change when I zoom the work.

Or do you mean when you change the screen resolution?
In this case, the entire interface changes size accordingly (all applications including Audacity).

The problem that I see is:
I have a fairly high dpi screen on my laptop, so I have the system font size set to 140% (makes text big enough to read), but the rest of the Audacity interface is in pixels, so in some parts of the interface the larger text does not fit.

Here’s an example from Audacity (meter), compared to a “tools” window from another application (Gimp):
meter000.png
gimp-tools.png

Or do you mean when you change the screen resolution?
In this case, the entire interface changes size accordingly (all applications including Audacity).

I may have stepped in the snake pit. My larger “office” monitor is not running at its native resolution. It’s reduced to video Hi Def and that seems to work for me. I’m creating a sound meter illustration for training and I can’t easily do it from a screen capture. It’s too ratty. I may have better luck with the older laptop running a 1:1 screen. Grab the graphic there and then move the grab over. We’ll see when it gets to be daytime.

Koz