USB connected mic to Audacity for MAC

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Re: USB connected mic to Audacity for MAC

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:28 pm

You posted what while I was typing my diatribe. I'll listen when I get home.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:36 pm

Remember I said I could identify more than one tone, motor or fan? That's pretty unusual in one thing like a refrigerator, so it's probably also things like heating/cooling or something like that.

You can get a Mac to make noise if you try hard enough. Open up enough busy web pages at once.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:51 am

This is slightly less severe noise processing on Test2. This one would be perfectly compatible with audiobook reading. See first three numbers and attached sound file. I still had to do a little extra sound processing to get it there, but it works and by enough leeway not to have to worry about tiny changes throwing everything off.

Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 16.43.39.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 16.43.39.png (42.24 KiB) Viewed 198 times

Your voice may appear slightly higher and "tighter" than your natural voice. That's one of the corrections.

I'm going to try this little dance with the other test.

By the way, I can hear you clucking your tongue and smacking your lips in the 2 second "silent" segment. That little piece is harder than you think. Hold your breath.

As we go.

Koz
Attachments
BonnieTest2forKozProcessed.wav
(1.86 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:12 am

The refrigerator-off clip is missing one of the two background tones. 102Hz if you're keeping score. So that's the fridge.

The rest of the noises succumbed to the standard rumble filter leaving one "mystery tone" which I cut out surgically as before.

This clip too, should sail right by audiobook automated quality control. Apparently, I didn't take a snapshot of the response panel. But it passed.

If you can find that one remaining noise, you can go with "normal" noise corrections. That is, it's still noisier than it should be, but it will respond to normal noise management and not need Special, Custom, Hand-Built tools.

Koz
Attachments
Optekman-3RefrigOffProcessed.wav
(877.25 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:59 am

And no background noise at all.

I don't understand why they sounded fine to me.

How are you listening? This is the other half of producing pro-level readings by yourself. You have to be able to hear all this stuff going by. Cheap speakers or earbuds need not apply. Please don't tell me you're listening to laptop speakers.

There are other options, but the Hollywood Standard Headphone is the Sony MDR 7506.

You can find one or more of these on any sound shoot. Their claim to fame, beside having multiple physical tricks, is they will tell you things gone wrong with the performance before the Director hears them. So no, these are not the headphones to lie back and listen to a movie. That's not their job.

There is no standard speaker system that I know of. There is a fuzzy rule that if you can hold it in one hand, that's not a good choice. Most good music systems work OK. For example, any sound system that can reproduce a pipe organ will have no trouble listening to the rumble tones in your tests.

Is this a good place to introduce you to Ian, who has the record for the longest posting on the forum? 39 forum chapters and a year of work. All he wanted to do was record audiobooks from his apartment in Hollywood. That's it. That was the whole job.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:22 am

It's not an accident I'm steering you to the AudioBook tools. They're pre-baked, published and known, good, working. In general, if you can pass those, you can submit to anybody else, not just ACX. Worst-case, you may need to make minor changes to make the client happy. I'll bet serious chocolate no client is going to reject a clip that has passed the ACX Check tools. Further, unless you do something seriously messed up, all your clips and readings should match.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:10 pm

Floor & table noises haven't been an issue.

Remember that? You won't hear noises coming up through the floor or table. They just magically appear in the background of the performance.

If you didn't buy the spidery shock mount with the microphone, you can fake a shock mount with a book and towel.

Also please note the heavy but cheap furniture moving pad on the table.
Well, refrigerator fan just went off.

If you can tell the fridge is running just by listening, that's the kiss of death. What else can you hear?

That low volume thumping sound plaguing my recordings turned out to be my Ikea wall clock.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70098989/

For months I had a very low level background hum in my voice recordings. Clearly wall power hum. I found if I moved the microphone around the room there were magic places where the hum was minimum and that's where I was working. That one turned out to be my music keyboard bass cabinet which didn't automatically turn off when it was supposed to. Unplug it and all the hum vanished.

I found that one by moving the microphone around the room and aiming it different places, intentionally searching for the hum. It kept getting louder when I approached that corner of the room.

The lights are on the back of the cabinet...and they were on.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by BonnieO » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:53 pm

So. Just to make sure I understand...

The further I can reduce the noise, the louder my voice will be?
Or are those two different issues (mic volume level and room noise) and you're trying to reduce the noise in order to improve the overall quality of the recording?

It's reassuring that the timeline wave can be between .3 and .5. I'm just still stumped as to why Samson mic on same Mac delivers more volume -- between .5 and 1.0

I know about the saliva sounds. They are the bane of my existence. I've tried every trick in the book - green apples, water, sprays, xylitol gum but that's what I've been using noise reduction for. You've been looking primarily at environmental noise. We may have missed each other on this.
My major focus is on removing the mouth sounds, in addition to trying to figure out why the volume is lower.

Thanks again,
Bonnie.
BonnieO

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Permanent link to this post Posted by BonnieO » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:06 pm

p.s. Mic is on a floor stand with a heavy round base on a wood floor.
I can move it to the rug and see if that improves noise.
BonnieO

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:56 pm

The further I can reduce the noise, the louder my voice will be?

Close. The quieter your room is, the less you have to pay attention to voice volume.

For example, if you have to double the volume of your voice for the client (you have to satisfy the client no matter what else you do), the background noise will double, too. If there is little or no background noise, you are free to adjust your performance volume however you want.

If your motor, fan, rumble and background noises are competing with you for space on your recording, you only have two realistic choices: Perform louder or unplug the fridge.

The snowball is a "hot" microphone and naturally produces a solid performance even if it's not the best quality. The Podcaster is a much better quality microphone but slightly quieter while it's doing it. If you record in a quiet room, these performance volumes will make no difference to the deliverable at all.

Noise Reduction is a fine adjustment tool not designed to "rescue" a failed performance. Particularly in your case, forcing stiff noise reduction is likely to damage your high quality vocal tones. There is no win here.

And just to shift your reference a little, One poster in a noisy room built a studio out of Home Center plastic pipes.

It's not glued together. It knocks down for storage. She's a published reader now, and that's not unusual. I built mine out of wooden sticks and moving blankets.

Mine knocks down for storage in the garage.

That studio-for-hire recording is looking better and better isn't it?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Mac OS X