Clicking or crackling sound in audio recording

Hello,

I am recording a podcast and cannot determine the source of a clicking or crackling sound. I’ve attached an example. Does anyone know what this is called, and/or how to prevent it?

Part of the challenge is that it is difficult to recreate because it often happens over an hour into recording. I get started and think I’m good to go, and then listen later and notice it started happening again. This leads me to believe it could be related to latency, but I can’t recreate it by opening all of the applications on my computer, dozens of web browser tabs, etc. I’m recording at 16-bit PCM and Mono, 44100 Hz, industry standard for podcasts.

Here are the details of my setup:

• Shure SM58 microphones
  • Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 Preamp

But, this also happens with by Yeti Blue Microphone, so I don’t think it has to do with the microphone.

I’m using a brand new USB cord and tried jostling it to see if its a connection issue. Doesn’t seem to be.

Any ideas? Please help!

I’m new to Audacity and am experiencing the same issue as Amyleo - attaching a sample as well. (Amyleo - I wish I could be of assistance!).

Here’s my setup
mics: 2 Shure S58’s
mixer: Yamaha MG10XU
(connected to Macbook Pro via USB, running OS 10.11.6)
headphone amp: Pyle PHA40
headphones: 2 AT20x’s, 1 Bayerdynamic DT770

I’ve been Google-ing for the past two days and can’t find a solid ID of the issue or how to fix and prevent it. Any assistance would be most appreciated!

Try the recommendations on this page in the manual and let us know if they help.
– Bill

Thank you, I’ve tried all of these things, except for antipop, and they are not helping. The issue is still present. Any other suggestions?