3D sound?

I just dropped 500+ on a 3Dio Binaural microphone and a USB preamp. But when I plug it in to audacity there is no binaural effect. When recording in mono in Audacity both “ears” of the 3d mic are treated the same with both the “L” and the “R” registering equally with no 3D effect (this is also how it sounds on the preamp’s direct monitor). When I switch to stereo, both “ears” are also treated the same but with only the “L” registering in audacity-- that is, no matter which ear I talk into they both pump into the “L” side in audacity. I need each “ear” to correspond with the “R” and “L” to get the effect I paid 500 bucks for but so far no luck. Any advice? I am using a 10.10.5 OS X Yosemite mac book air and Audacity 2.2.1 from the dmg.

What pre-amp are you using? Make and model, please. What input connections (type of jack) does it have? Can you test it with something other than the binaural microphone?
I assume you have the “FS” microphone model with the 1/8" TRS output jack and cable. Is this correct?
What settings have you made in the Device Toolbar, specifically the Recording Device and Recording Channels?
– Bill

I’m with him. How did you connect the preamp, and what is it?

The symptoms suggest you’re not sending Right to the preamp.

Koz

I’m using Behringer’s UPHORIA series UM2. It has one mic/gain line and a second gain line. The mic/gain line is XLR and 1/4 combo. The second gain line is just 1/4. I plugged my 3D mic into one line (using a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter) and a basic mic into the other line (XLR) and by splitting the stereo track in Audacity I was able to hear sound from my 3D mic (only one “ear”) in one side of my headphones and sound from the normal mic in the other side of the headphones which seemed promising. I then purchased a stereo splitter cable (as advised by the mic company) and plugged it into each gain line. I now only hear sound from the left “ear” of the 3D mic sounding mono in both sides of my headphones, even when I split the stereo track. I feel like I’m going in circles here. Help? (I am using the 3Dio Free Space Pro model which only has a single 1/8 output jack)

The Behringer UPHORIA UM2 has one microphone input/line and one instrument input.

According to the website (https://3diosound.com/)

“Free Space Binaural Microphone” has a stereo 3.5mm (1/8") output jack.

“Free Space Pro II Binaural Microphone” has:
3.5mm (1/8") stereo jack (mic level output)
Output: Two (2) 3-Pin XLR, Balanced Outputs

In both cases, the outputs are “mic level”.
A mic level signal is smaller than instrument level, and massively lower than line level. I would expect the instrument input of the UM2 to give a very weak signal, and the line level input to give virtually nothing.

You need to use an audio device that has two mic level inputs, such as the Behringer UMC204HD. Music tribe – Music is life

If you still have your receipt and packaging for the UM2, then perhaps the retailer would be willing to give you an exchange.

If you use the Free Space Pro II Binaural Microphone and UMC204HD, I would highly recommend using good quality XLR microphone leads rather than the 1/8" jack.