Screen flickering white while moving cursor

Howdy, couldn’t find any other posts on this topic, apologies if duplicating.

I’m running Sierra 10.12.6, and Audacity 2.2.1.

When I click and drag to highlight a section, the screen flickers white on and off as the cursor moves. The flickering stops when the cursor stops. So it’s technically possible to keep working, but only at the cost of a migraine from all the white flashes.

The flickering is contained within the Audacity window, rather than being the whole screen. Everything else within the program seems to work, it’s just that you can’t see the interface half the time.

Any ideas?

Just that I have graphic oddities also on a Mac with Audacity 2.2.0.

Nothing like yours, but I noticed the graphics on already existing programs when I launched Audacity would sometimes flip and lose their structure or flash briefly. It’s our favorite type of problem. “Sometimes on Thursday, when the humidity is over 50%…”

Can you change it either way? Make it better or worse?

You know we’re going to ask you whether or not you shut down the Mac? I don’t mean restart, I mean Apple > Shut Down… When you bring it back up a minute later, don’t let anything else start.

Launch a bunch of other programs and just leave them napping in the background. Worse?

Disconnect your network. Just pull the Cat5 cable or shut down the WiFi or cable connection.

Any change?

This is where I expect you to say: “I can’t shut down the network because of X, Y, and Z,” and we may have our answer.

Koz

Anything odd about the Mac? Which one? I’m typing on a 2012 Mini with large, wired NEC production monitor.

Koz

Hi Koz, thanks for the reply.

It’s a new iMac, a few months old. (Retina 5k, 3.5 GHz, 2017 model).

Yeah, I’ve done full shutdown procedures. Haven’t tried disabling the network, but we literally just had our network changed to a new fibre-optic service from a new provider a couple of days ago, and the glitch is consistent from before and after the change.

The glitch is consistent no matter what else is running in the background, even with nothing. It works normally aside from when you click and drag to highlight a section, the white flickers start up until the cursor stops.

While your show is open, you can File > Open another instance of Audacity (attached).
Screen Shot 2017-12-22 at 14.51.07.png
You can flip between them. Do both windows do it?

Koz

I’m reading that again.

Does the Audacity screen flicker if you click on a timeline location but don’t move the cursor? Can you tell if the flickering is constant no matter how fast you move the cursor?

I’m guessing there’s no condition where you can get the Audacity screen to “stick” white?

Plus Magnifying Glass zoom into the work three or four times. Still flickering?

Click the desktop. Go > Utilities > Activity Monitor. Select % CPU. Do a screen capture (Shift-Command-4) and draw a box around a portion of the display as attached.
Screen Shot 2017-12-22 at 15.49.32.png
Post it on the forum. Scroll down from a forum text window, Upload Attachment > Browse.

Koz

It’s easy to reach the idea that since this is the first I’ve heard of a graphic problem like yours and you have a shiny new computer, there’s something wrong with your iMac or its system.

Koz

I have a shiny new(ish) Macbook Pro Retina 13-inch screen running 10.13.2 High Sierra

and I see no such flickering when I click and drag in the waveform to select audio - nor do I recall it doing so when I was running 10.12 Sierra :confused:

WC