Off and running, but what audio format to save in?

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Re: Off and running, but what audio format to save in?

Permanent link to this post Posted by yellowtriumph » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:45 am

Trebor wrote:
yellowtriumph wrote:... what is the source material? Generally they are off-air radio recordings of FM stereo broadcasts in the 70's.

You may have problems putting that on YouTube or SoundCloud : they have automatic copyright-infringement detection, see ... https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2797370

That's a very reasonable position to take and one I will bear in mind.
yellowtriumph

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Permanent link to this post Posted by yellowtriumph » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:47 am

kozikowski wrote:
save this edited version as both WAV and FLAC files on a single hard drive. Then copy these WAV and FLAC files to another separate physical disc for safety.

Oddly, I don't agree. People assume the more the merrier, but in backups, if you make them too complex, you stop doing them, or worse, miss versions and processes. The sweet spot between No Backups and Too Many Backups is two. Main and Protection Copy.

WAV and FLAC content is exactly the same and just wastes time, effort and drive space. Use WAV, full stop.

Making low quality copies for posting or other production is completely up to you. If one of those goes face-first in the mud, you can always make another from one of the two perfectly quality WAVs. Or, I think you addressed this up the thread, make a copy of the archive MP3 (for example) if you made archives of the MP3s.

Koz

Good archiving advice which I will follow.
yellowtriumph

Permanent link to this post Posted by yellowtriumph » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:30 pm

Well I am up to speed now and have transferred a number of playable tapes with some success thanks to the feedback from this site. The non-playable ones will need some further work before I attempt to play them as they are suffering from tape shedding and sticking. Still about 30 tapes to go - some recorded at 1.75 ips so potentially a lot of material!

I have a very quick and almost embarrassing novice question. When I first started this project, I clicked the record button in Audacity and off it went and recorded the input audio fine. On the horizontal audio level displays I could check the audio levels (to make sure they were correct and not clipping or be too low for example) as the 'vertical' recording bar swept from left to right, when it reached the right hand side of the screen the twin-level display would leap leftwards slightly so that I could continue to monitor the recording levels in real time - as the recording went along so as to speak.

But now for some reason something has changed with this display and I must have obviously accidentally changed something. Now when the vertical bar sweeps across to the rhs of the display it disappears off the rhs of the screen and I can no longer monitor the recording levels - I have to grab the moving bar at the bottom of the screen and 'yank' the display towards the lhs side of the screen to see where I am in real recording time and what the levels are.

I have tried looking at the manual but cannot see the 'trick' to get this back. In essence, all I want to so is to continually monitor the recording levels in real time - all the time - on the screen. Any help in getting this facility back would be most welcome.
yellowtriumph

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:47 pm

yellowtriumph wrote: Now when the vertical bar sweeps across to the rhs of the display it disappears off the rhs of the screen and I can no longer monitor the recording levels - I have to grab the moving bar at the bottom of the screen and 'yank' the display towards the lhs side of the screen to see where I am in real recording time and what the levels are.

I have tried looking at the manual but cannot see the 'trick' to get this back. In essence, all I want to so is to continually monitor the recording levels in real time - all the time - on the screen. Any help in getting this facility back would be most welcome.

Tick the box I have coloured yellow ...

ensure the box I have coloured yellow is ticked.png
ensure the box I have coloured yellow is ticked.png (19.02 KiB) Viewed 132 times

ensure the box I have coloured yellow is ticked.png
ensure the box I have coloured yellow is ticked.png (23.65 KiB) Viewed 132 times

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tracks_preferences.html
Trebor

Operating System: Windows Vista

Permanent link to this post Posted by yellowtriumph » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:19 pm

Many thanks Trebor - just the job. What a great product Audacity is, and what a great forum this is to support it. Thanks again.
yellowtriumph

Permanent link to this post Posted by yellowtriumph » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:49 pm

Another quick question if I may. I have looked at the on-line manual and the answer is not obvious to me.

I have ingested a tape that only has audio on the left hand (lh) channel and that is how it has been ingested by Audacity, However, I would like to 'mono' it up and make the right and left channels identical. In other words I would like to copy all the audio ingested to the lh channel over to the rh channel. Unless there is a different way to achieve this? Any help very welcome as ever.
yellowtriumph

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:26 pm

Use the drop-down menu on the left of the track Split Stereo to Mono.
[X] Delete the dead track.

A Mono sound track will play audio to both left and right speakers and takes half the digital space as two-track mono which is what you asked for. You will never get "stereo" with, for example, violins on the left.

If you still want two track mono, Control-D duplicate your single track. From the drop-down of the top track, Make Stereo Track.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:36 pm

kozikowski wrote:Use the drop-down menu on the left of the track Split Stereo to Mono.
[X] Delete the dead track.

Split stereo to mono, then delete bottom (right) channel.gif
Split stereo to mono, then delete bottom (right) channel.gif (84.64 KiB) Viewed 106 times
Trebor

Operating System: Windows Vista

Previous

Return to Mac OS X