cut and paste

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Re: cut and paste

Permanent link to this post Posted by blad » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:52 am

billw58 wrote:How many characters are you attempting to paste into a label?
-- Bill

I never counted them. The examples I gave are a cross section of what I would enter. Songs and album titles are the best estimate I can give you and are what I primarily copy and paste.
blad

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Permanent link to this post Posted by billw58 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:37 am

Well, I've discussed this with the other support personnel here and none of us has a clue what is happening. None of us can reproduce the problem.

All I can suggest at this point is:
1) download and install the latest version of Audacity, available at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/mac/
2) in the Finder, go to ~/Library/Application Support/audacity and trash the "audacity.cfg" file; this will "reset" Audacity.

After that, try creating a label and typing some text into it. Does Audacity crash?
Then type some text into TextEdit, copy it, switch to Audacity, create a label, and paste it into the label. Does Audacity crash?
Copy some text from some arbitrary web site, switch to Audacity, create a label, and paste it into the label. Does Audacity crash?
Copy some text from discogs, switch to Audacity, create a label, and paste it into the label. Does Audacity crash?
I'm still trying to understand where things are going wrong.
-- Bill
billw58
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by blad » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:35 pm

billw58 wrote:Well, I've discussed this with the other support personnel here and none of us has a clue what is happening. None of us can reproduce the problem.

All I can suggest at this point is:
1) download and install the latest version of Audacity, available at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/mac/
2) in the Finder, go to ~/Library/Application Support/audacity and trash the "audacity.cfg" file; this will "reset" Audacity.

After that, try creating a label and typing some text into it. Does Audacity crash?
Then type some text into TextEdit, copy it, switch to Audacity, create a label, and paste it into the label. Does Audacity crash?
Copy some text from some arbitrary web site, switch to Audacity, create a label, and paste it into the label. Does Audacity crash?
Copy some text from discogs, switch to Audacity, create a label, and paste it into the label. Does Audacity crash?
I'm still trying to understand where things are going wrong.
-- Bill

I will do this. Just 2 clarifications, does the new Audacity app copy over the old app when trashing the .cfg file? What is the latest version number?
blad

Permanent link to this post Posted by billw58 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:42 pm

blad wrote: Just 2 clarifications, does the new Audacity app copy over the old app when trashing the .cfg file? What is the latest version number?

The latest version is 2.2.1.

I don't know what you mean by "does the new Audacity app copy over the old app when trashing the .cfg file". Trashing the cfg file resets Audacity. When installing a new version of Audacity into Applications you normally over-write the old version.

-- Bill
billw58
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by blad » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:18 pm

billw58 wrote:
blad wrote: Just 2 clarifications, does the new Audacity app copy over the old app when trashing the .cfg file? What is the latest version number?

The latest version is 2.2.1.

I don't know what you mean by "does the new Audacity app copy over the old app when trashing the .cfg file". Trashing the cfg file resets Audacity. When installing a new version of Audacity into Applications you normally over-write the old version.

-- Bill

All clear. Maybe? I discovered a few issues that were totally regarding my procedure, I would cut/paste in this order> place my track label> select copy from alternative source> LEFT CLICK on track label>.THIS WOULD CAUSE THE APP TO CRASH) I would like to know what results you would have using this procedure. A working procedure is> place track label> select copy from alternative source> RIGHT CLICK (...bringing the app up) LEFT CLICK and paste. For me this is somewhat of nuisance because of such a slight nuance to the procedure.

Unrelated maybe . Im getting a very slight loss of sound. What is this?
Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 12.47.53 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 12.47.53 AM.png (65.99 KiB) Viewed 43 times
blad

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:31 pm

I don't know how to make a video capture on a Mac, so this is on Linux, but on Mac it works in exactly the same way:
(Click on the animation below to see the whole picture)

copy-paste.gif
copy-paste.gif (478.02 KiB) Viewed 41 times
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by blad » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:52 pm

steve wrote:I don't know how to make a video capture on a Mac, so this is on Linux, but on Mac it works in exactly the same way:
(Click on the animation below to see the whole picture)

copy-paste.gif

Thanks Steve and Bill, For me and for now I'm considering this solved. However, I also realize that my problem was only related to my process. Audacity IMHO has a glitch regarding a failure occurring in too close proximity to a right and wrong procedure. Thank you because there is no way I could have resolved this without Audacities input.
blad

Previous

Return to Mac OS X