Recording is not complete after saving - Please help

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Recording is not complete after saving - Please help

Permanent link to this post Posted by mauricevogels91 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:43 pm

A few days ago, I recorded my set at a festival and the set of someone who was playing after me. I just let audacity recording both sets (4h total), save the set as a audacity project and export the file to an mp3 file. While I was checking my set and the set of the other guy, I realised that the set was not complete. Instead of 4h, it was just 2,5h. I thought it was because someone turned Audacity off, but when I was listening it back, I heard that audacity had recorded the whole set, but skip true some numbers. For example, when a new number began, audacity skipped the track from the begin to the end. A few tracks after the skipped one are complete and then some tracks aren't. U just really don't know how this is possible. Never before I had problems with recording a (long) set. But now I can't use the recording, because not all the tracks are complete in it because of the skipped parts. I used an audiocard (behringer ufo202) and a macbook pro running on high sierra. Does someone have a solution for me? I still have all the .au files, and i just really don't know why Audacity skipped true some parts of the recording.. The programm was running for 4h, so it wasn't turned of.. :(
mauricevogels91

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: Recording is not complete after saving - Please help

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:06 pm

Is the Audacity project the same as the MP3 file?
Could someone have paused the recording and then restarted it?
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by mauricevogels91 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:16 pm

Yes, the mp3 file and the Project file have some parts were some tracks were skipped.. I was there the whole time and the programm was running the whole 4h. The strange thing is that when I stopped audacity, the recording was 3h and 55 minutes. But it isn't now.. I thought it was maybe because at some parts we were playing "in the red" on the mixer. Is it possible that Audacity skipped that parts automatically? Thanks anyway!!
mauricevogels91

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:30 pm

mauricevogels91 wrote:Is it possible that Audacity skipped that parts automatically?

The only feature in Audacity that's anything like that is "Sound Activated Recording". When enabled, Audacity will automatically pause when the input level drops below the activation level. The default activation level is -50 dB, which is pretty low level.
More info: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tran ... tions.html
(needless to say, sound activated recording is off by default)
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by mauricevogels91 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:43 pm

hmm no that can't be the problem (i also checked it). I do have all the .au files. Is there a way to manually replace all the files into one set? maybe that the recording is complete when I try this? Or is this hopeless? Maybe that audacity do not opened all the .au files because of the size. Don't know if this can be a reason, but just to make sure. Thanks for the thinking!
mauricevogels91

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:07 pm

3 hours stereo WAV is one of the natural file limits (2 Gb). That’s the first thing that came to mind when you were describing the problem. Possibly nothing to do with it, but still.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by billw58 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:51 pm

mauricevogels91 wrote:I do have all the .au files. Is there a way to manually replace all the files into one set? maybe that the recording is complete when I try this?

If, when opening the project, Audacity does not complain of "orphan block files", then there is no point in manually importing the .au files. In other words, there are no .au files that are not already referenced in the .aup file.
-- Bill
billw58
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:01 pm

mauricevogels91 wrote:I do have all the .au files.

How do you know that?
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by billw58 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:04 pm

mauricevogels91 wrote:when I was listening it back, I heard that audacity had recorded the whole set, but skip true some numbers. For example, when a new number began, audacity skipped the track from the begin to the end. A few tracks after the skipped one are complete and then some tracks aren't.

That is totally bizarre. Audacity does not know about "tracks" or "songs".
mauricevogels91 wrote:when I stopped audacity, the recording was 3h and 55 minutes. But it isn't now

So something happened between the time you "stopped audacity" and "now". If the recording was showing 3h55m when you stopped it, then all that time was indeed recorded. About 1h25m has been deleted (not just silenced), and those deletions comprise selected songs from the recording. I can't imagine how a technical glitch in Audacity could cause that.
-- Bill
billw58
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by mauricevogels91 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:20 pm

billw58 wrote:
mauricevogels91 wrote:I do have all the .au files. Is there a way to manually replace all the files into one set? maybe that the recording is complete when I try this?

If, when opening the project, Audacity does not complain of "orphan block files", then there is no point in manually importing the .au files. In other words, there are no .au files that are not already referenced in the .aup file.
-- Bill

ok thanks for the update!
mauricevogels91

Next

Return to Mac OS X