Audacity crashing

I’m running the app on an iMac from Late 2012
Apple OS 10.12.6
audacity version 2.1.3
I believe that I installed this app from a downloaded dmg file package.
App starts and will run for 2 to 3 minutes and then crashes. Following is the error message from my
OS console.
Assertion failed: (!err), function AudioIOProc, file /Users/jamescrook/OpenSourceGit/Audacity/lib-src/portaudio-v19/src/hostapi/coreaudio/pa_mac_core.c, line 2482.
App had been operating successfully for months without incident. Audio output sounds much like an electrical short.
I’ve restarted the app multiple times as well as restarting my Mac/ Results are the same.
What other information from the console do you need to further troubleshoot this?

Please try deleting Audacity 2.1.3, and delete the folder:
~/Library/Application Support/audacity/
(note that “~/” means your home folder)

Then download and install audacity-macos-2.2.1-rc1.dmg from here: https://www.fosshub.com/Audacity-devel.html/
(I do not usually recommend using pre-release versions for production work, but this is a “release candidate” and is likely to become the new Audacity 2.2.1 release in a few days time. It has some bug fixes that may fix your problem)

Thank you for your contribution. I followed your instructions and everything is good now.
I deleted /Library/Application Support/audacity/ and installed the current version of Audacity.
I appreciate your help.

The full release version of Audacity is due out very soon, so keep an eye open for it and update when it becomes available (it has a couple more bug fixes, and more up to date translations)