Overdrive removal

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Overdrive removal

Permanent link to this post Posted by Audacityisfun » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:53 pm

Hi, I have recorded an audio file with Audacity with the internal microphones of my Macbook Pro during a concert. Unfortunately, it was very loud in the room and I did not adjust the input level, so the resulting file is totally overdriven in volume. Is there a filter I can use which can maybe reduce the clipping and interpolate the volume so it will sound better? THX for replies!
Audacityisfun

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: Overdrive removal

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:54 am

Export > WAV (Microsoft) to make a safety copy of the show before you do anything else. Put the copy in a safe place. If the stereo show went over three hours, export it as the highest possible quality MP3.

View > Show Clipping.

Did the timeline turn into a sea of red?

If it did, that's the end of the world.

There is a Clip-Fix tool, but it repairs a tiny part of a musical note and it uses the healthy work on both sides to do it. If you have no healthy work, that's it.

Drag-select about ten seconds of it, export as WAV and post it here.

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=72887

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Return to Mac OS X