Is this a known undesirable feature?

I want to amplify portions of a 9 hour recording. It opens and plays in Audacity perfectly well and the tools such as Noise Reduction seem to work.
Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 14.39.36.png
I can drag-select almost any portion of the work and Effect > Amplify to get (what seems to be) a valid correction. The portion gets louder.
Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 14.40.48.png
What I can’t do is select the work so that one end of the selection snaps to the end of the performance and forms a yellow line.
Effect > Amplify fails.
Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 14.41.43.png
Audacity 2.2.0
Mac OS-X 10.9.5

Koz

Hold on this until I try something. I’ve been fooled by super long recordings before.
Koz

That’s a wave-off. There’s a sound overload condition at the very end of the recording requiring no amplification.

Koz

Translation: there’s a very loud sound (0dB) at the very end, which you can’t see unless you zoom-in on the end.

It’s probably the click noise when the recording device was switched off, (there’s one at the very start).
The loud clicks can be deleted by zooming-in on them, selecting them, then pressing delete key.

You also get an unwanted saturated loud click near the very when you use Timer Record (I use it to record streaming audio from the interweb). Oddly it does not happen every time - just most times AFAICT.

Maybe I should be logging this as a bug?

WC

Maybe I should be logging this as a bug?

Probably not for this particular problem.

You can also get this effect when you drop the recorder just before turning it off.

Koz