Internal error at Sequence.cpp line 1828

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Re: Internal error at Sequence.cpp line 1828

Permanent link to this post Posted by miak » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:18 am

Paul L wrote:So I understand the Export was not MP3 conversion under File > Chains > Apply Chain..
but was File > Save Other > Export As MP3
I suspect this export was only coincidental with the problem.

But now: I understand you had redundantly saved the project, already, in two places, desktop and DropBox.

You reopened which one? I reopened from the desktop, but the choice to do so was in the drop down menu "Open Recent>Users/Mia/Recent/Desktop/untitled or soul of things

And why were you still Saving-As rather than simply Saving? If really Saving-As, then, from which folder, into which other, when the problem happened? I did it not knowing the program well and to prevent the file from saving somewhere I would never find it again. I was consistent in where I saved it to.

Was there any other error dialog seen about failure to write a file and exhaustion of space on your drive? No

PRL
miak

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by miak » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:13 am

Paul,
As it happens, I've created the project again. This time, instead of saving .wav files, I simply exported as mp3 and I have a perfectly sewn together playlist that I am now playing in iTunes!
The only thing I did differently was I "mixed and rendered" the whole project before exporting.
If the absence of this command is what lent to files being in "bad shape" then I'm sorry I didn't communicate this or know sooner that it was the issue.
My hunch is though that there was also an error message for other reasons unknown to me.
Feel free to let go of fixing my project, but if it benefits the program, then by all means continue.
Thank you to everyone on this thread for responding, I'm happy with my results and plan to continue using Audacity for my upcoming projects.
Mia
miak

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:48 pm

miak wrote:The only thing I did differently was I "mixed and rendered" the whole project before exporting.

"Mix and Render" before exporting should not be necessary, though doing so does have the benefit of showing what the audio file will be like after exporting. It can be useful to Mix and Render multi-track projects before exporting as it allows checking that the mix does not clip (does not exceed 0 dB).

The downside of Mix and Render is that it can't be "un-mixed" back to separate tracks. Saved Audacity projects do not contain the undo history.
What I often do when working with multi-track projects is to Mix and Render before exporting, then "Undo" (Ctrl + Z) the Mix and Render before saving the project. If I need to go back and change anything at a later date, I still have the un-mixed version to work with.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Paul L » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:17 pm

miak wrote:Paul,
As it happens, I've created the project again. This time, instead of saving .wav files, I simply exported as mp3 and I have a perfectly sewn together playlist that I am now playing in iTunes!
The only thing I did differently was I "mixed and rendered" the whole project before exporting.
If the absence of this command is what lent to files being in "bad shape" then I'm sorry I didn't communicate this or know sooner that it was the issue.
My hunch is though that there was also an error message for other reasons unknown to me.
Feel free to let go of fixing my project, but if it benefits the program, then by all means continue.
Thank you to everyone on this thread for responding, I'm happy with my results and plan to continue using Audacity for my upcoming projects.
Mia

I agree with the hunch.

I am glad you have got past your difficulty, but as a developer I am not satisfied that I understand what went wrong, and what would be best is to discover a repeatable procedure for making it go wrong.

If you have any continued interest in attempting that for us, the team will be grateful.

If I understand your descriptions, though I am not confident I do, then your procedure was,

Save the new project to Desktop and also save-as into DropBox.
Close the projects (to come back later and edit again).
Reopen the Desktop project again
Save, and Save-as into DropBox folder again, so you always have a duplicate project. (How many times?)
(You exported, which may be irrelevant to the bug.)
Afterward the Desktop and DropBox projects became unusable when reopened.

Were your steps exactly like this or could there be some important detail left out?
Paul L

Operating System: Please select

Permanent link to this post Posted by miak » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:57 pm

Exactly
miak

Permanent link to this post Posted by Paul L » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:49 am

I explained it exactly?

You shared some files, in which the .aup was corrupt (blank "filename" attributes) -- this was from the desktop.

You also shared many .au files in a folder tree, which were good files (you can even open them directly) -- from the desktop project too?

Yet what got lost was the information in the .aup about how to piece those many little .au files back into sequences.

PRL
Paul L

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:29 am

When I follow these steps Paul's outline of Mia's editing (2.2.0 W10)

0) open Audacity and import 3 minute song

1)Save the new project to Desktop and also save-as into DropBox.
2)Close the projects (to come back later and edit again).
3)Reopen the Desktop project again
3.5) basic fade and cut edtrs - plus an MP3 export
4)Save, and Save-as into DropBox folder again, so you always have a duplicate project. (How many times?)
5)(You exported, which may be irrelevant to the bug.)
6)Afterward the Desktop and DropBox projects became unusable when reopened.

At Step 3 I get a number of orphan block files.

At step 6 I get just over twice as meany blockfiles as at Step 3 (from opening the desktop version)
If I then close the desktop project an I open the Dropbox project then I see no orphan blockfiles

Both the desktop and Drop box projects are usable/editable/saveable with no Asserts/Internal errors.

Peter
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by Paul L » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:16 pm

The known problem of orphan block files is already fixed in 2.2.1.

Mia, I said export was probably irrelevant, but I have not better guess. Tell me if this was the EXACT procedure:

You opened from Desktop.
(Maybe some edits then happened?)
You EXPORTED first, into the DropBox folder.
Then you saved-as into the DropBox folder -- while background sync with the remote DropBox folder was still in progress.
You also saved Desktop. (Before or after saving in DropBox?)
(Then, did you close the project, to reopen it later?)
Then you opened (which copy of the project?) and found it all silence.

Lacking any better guesses here, I wonder if, perhaps, the background sync concurrent with the attempt to save the project is the missing variable.

PRL
Paul L

Permanent link to this post Posted by Paul L » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:31 pm

Another question, did you at any time import .wav files using the "faster" rather than the "safer" option?
Paul L

Previous

Return to Mac OS X