can u help - trying to read corruption Zoom h2 MP3

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

can u help - trying to read corruption Zoom h2 MP3

Permanent link to this post Posted by dandan12 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:31 pm

Hello,

I'm sorry I am a luddite and completely new to audacity but have followed the rabbit hole from Google to here trying to find out if I can recover a corrupted mp3 file from my zoom h2.

I was recording this morning and didn't realise the batteries had died - now that I've subsequently gone back to listen and write out the piece, the machine shows it as 'invalid file' and it won't play on it or the mac. It also comes up as having zero bytes.

Ive downloaded audacity especially and have tried to import said file, but it just comes up as 'error opening file or project: made be invalid or corrupted.'

If anyone can help me, id be eternally grateful as it was very precious.

Many thanks x

Dan
dandan12

Operating System: OS X 10.10 Yosemite

Re: can u help - trying to read corruption Zoom h2 MP3

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:45 pm

dandan12 wrote:It also comes up as having zero bytes.

I think that's the end of the road. Zero bytes means there is no data.

The one, very slim chance that remains is that a data recovery application (such as https://www.piriform.com/recuva) 'may' be able to find some data that belongs to the recording on the flash card. The chances of recovering anything are very slim.
Even if you do manage to recover some of the MP3 data, it is very unlikely that Audacity will be able to open it. There would have been a slightly (but not much) better chance if it had been a WAV recording.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: can u help - trying to read corruption Zoom h2 MP3

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:26 pm

steve wrote:... a data recovery application (such as https://www.piriform.com/recuva) 'may' be able to find some data that belongs to the recording on the flash card.

PhotoRec is better at data recovery than Recuva. Despite the name it recovers all file types, not just photos.
PhotoRec is multi-platform, Recuva is Windows only.
Trebor

Operating System: Windows Vista

Return to Mac OS X