Audacity 2.2.0 released -- Where to post Erratum?

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Re: Audacity 2.2.0 released -- Where to post Erratum?

Permanent link to this post Posted by Paul L » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:19 pm

Koz, could we trouble you to remove 2.2.0 from your system, then repeat the download procedure, watching the file sizes more closely?

Perhaps the problem was a fluke that will not happen again.
Paul L

Operating System: Please select

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:47 pm

I can do that when I get back.

I was surprised you found a second, independent instance of this oddity.

I should also pay attention to the install times and dates. I don't remember which machine was first.

Sometimes when troubleshooting, I'll take the problem upside down: If someone wrote me a generous check, how would I intentionally cause this problem. I'm pretty sure I know how I got the first part of this, but not the second.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:13 am

I think we can relax this one.

When I download the 2.2.0 Disk Image, it looks like this (click the image. It's tall.)

Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 19.40.53.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 19.40.53.png (34.27 KiB) Viewed 90 times

The .PART file is the actual digital download. The .DMG is a pretty placeholder (as far as I can tell). The download activity graphic is a four pixel blue arrow in the top menu bar. I know it's there and I can't find it.

I have a relatively neat desktop, but if you don't, like most of my right-brain creative friends, the .PART could be anywhere in your vast screen leading you to think the zero byte .DMG is the real thing. So pull that over to the local version archive and discover it won't install.

Meanwhile, the download completes and your desktop looks like this (click the pix)

Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 19.42.17.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 19.42.17.png (28.92 KiB) Viewed 90 times

You drag your dud to the desktop. I have my desktop set to snap icons into a neat grid, and that's not unusual so it would be easy to lose the dud in the forest of other icons. This time when you double click the .DMG file, you're clicking on the actual installer and the installation goes normally.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Previous

Return to Mac OS X