Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD help please.

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD help please.

Permanent link to this post Posted by CBJorgen » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:54 am

Hello,
I am using the piece of equipment in the subject line for voice over work (just getting started and a newbie at this software and equipment). I want to record in stereo, but when I click on record, it only records on the left channel (and yes, I do have it selected for stereo). If I switch the Mic to input 2 on the U-Phoria, it only records on the right. I can't find anything in the Audacity settings that might correct this problem. Is there something I'm missing? Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
CBJorgen

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD help please.

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:00 am

That's why I bought a Behringer UM2. It's a native mono device that naturally produces a single channel voice track right out of the box. Scarlett Solo will do the same thing. They're not natural stereo devices.

That's it on the far left.

Your interface is stereo and I don't think you can stop it. It's not a mixer. If you try to mount the 204HD as mono, Audacity may do that, but you run the risk of having the performance overload at 50% because of the conversion system.

One option is record perfectly correctly in Stereo-Left, split the stereo show into two monos with the drop-down menu on the left and delete the dead track. This isn't usually a big deal if you're a reading performance, but it just kills people trying to sing into an overdub session.

I think Behriner makes another, larger mono unit. Searching.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:09 am

Behringer UMC22.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC22

It claims slightly better microphone electronics. That's the difference between XENYX and MIDAS preamplifiers inside the box.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:13 am

There is another way to use yours. You could just assume overload and maximum volume is 50% instead of 100% and record everything that way. If you're following our Audiobook Mastering suite, it won't make any difference at all.

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=96103

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by CBJorgen » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:18 pm

Thank you for the response Koz! I was not aware that they are native mono. I was thinking about sending the Behringer back and getting the Scarlett, but thanks to you I won’t be making that mistake now lol. Shouldn’t a voiceover be in stereo? I mean, with a mono won’t your voice come out one side in a stereo broadcast. Sorry if I’m sounding stupid here, but I am new to this. Should I get a native stereo unit? If so, what would you recommend? I’m on a low budget right now, so I can’t go expensive. Thanks for all your great info!

Christian
CBJorgen

Permanent link to this post Posted by billw58 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:27 pm

Continue to record as you have been doing. Once the recording is finished, do this

1) from the Track drop-down menu, choose "Split stereo to mono"
You now have two, mono tracks. A mono track will play equally from the left and right channels.
2) click the close button on the track that is empty.

-- Bill
billw58
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:42 pm

What he said.

Most systems “know” what mono is and automatically send your voice to both Left and Right speakers. ACX AudioBooks urges strongly (but does not require) you to submit in Mono.

So you’re fine where you are. You just have an extra step or two in your production.

When you get your first track or two, Export as WAV (Microsoft). Never do production in MP3.

More later.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by CBJorgen » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:45 pm

Thank you Bill! I will give that a try. You guys are great! This is the first time I’ve ever used a forum, and this has helped a lot. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,
Christian
CBJorgen

Permanent link to this post Posted by CBJorgen » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:59 pm

Wow! If you hear a loud sonic boom, that would be my mind being blown with all the great info and help I’m getting here! Very helpful and very much appreciated! I’ll let you know how it goes.

Thank you!
Christian
CBJorgen

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:59 pm

voice over work

And just to bring us closer; everybody uses this wrong. Is somebody going to send you a video with natural sound and you're going to produce "Voice-Over" narration?

"The antarctic penguin sees a potential mate and courts her with fish from the frigid ocean waters and an athletic dance."

No, huh?

More likely Podcast? Reading for an AudioBook?

Fair warning the thing that kills live performances before everything else is the room. Do you have a noisy room with tasteful bare wood floors and stylish white walls? Then we could be here a very long time trying to help you produce a good voice recording. Bare rooms are aggressively hostile to good recording.

The people who owned my house before me had a son who played drums. He did in the soundproofed third bedroom which I now use for recording. Just to do it once, I produced a technically correct AudioBook voice test using the laptop built-in microphone.

So that's the trade-off.

If you do make it to a good sound recording, we published a suite of standard tools for producing AudioBook work.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Next

Return to Mac OS X