Need to recover project, all files orphaned?

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Need to recover project, all files orphaned?

Permanent link to this post Posted by cbp67 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:01 pm

I just spent 3-4 hours recording my podcast, and now I can't open the project. I have the .aup file and the data folder, but the logs seem to think that all the files are orphaned.

My usual process is to record all the tracks, save the project to my desktop, QUIT the app, and then transfer the .aup file and data folder to my file server. I record on my laptop in my studio, but edit on my big iMac - which is why I have to copy it. However, in this case, I think I may have copied the files while the project was open - I'm guessing that's the problem. The data folder appears to have all the files in it, so I'm hoping there's some clever way to reconstruct the project. When I tried to open without deleting the orphan files, I got an empty window (no tracks). When I tried to open and delete the orphaned files, the entire data folder was emptied.

I'm running Audicity 2.1.2, I believe I installed from .dmg. I'm on a MacBook Pro (2016, USBC) running Sierra (10.12.6).

I've attached my logs. I tried several things there, which you will probably see. I tried saved compressed, but abandoned it once I realized it was just converted to Ogg. (I was hoping it was some sort of zip format where all the project was in a single file - easier to transfer around.) I do still have a copy of the .aup and full data folder on my file server. The one on my laptop was emptied. I tried copying it back and had the same orphan issue.
Attachments
log.txt
(499.64 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
cbp67

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: Need to recover project, all files orphaned?

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:50 pm

Open the _DATA folder and you should see collections of sub-folders with lots of little AU sound files. Each of those AU files should be six seconds of sound and they should open and play in Audacity.

If you open the AUP file, is it filled with XML programming language similar to this?

This one has been spread out with extra spaces for "graphic beauty," but the actual programming is real and does open.

Third line down and two thirds to the right, see where it says projname="? That should match exactly the name of your project or show.
My usual process is to record all the tracks,

Describe the show. Do you have to use Projects?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by cbp67 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:49 pm

Yes, I have a bunch of those files... are you saying I need to stitch them together manually to recover all my audio? Six seconds at a time?

Also not sure what the show description will tell you. Why wouldn't I want to use projects?

At any rate, yes, it appears the audio files work. Now how do I fix the aup file so that this project is sane again? I'll have a look into the XML, see if it's something obvious. What specific problem with the XML causes the orphan file warning?
cbp67

Permanent link to this post Posted by cbp67 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:58 pm

Okay, my aup file is definitely screwed up. This is all it contains for 'imports'. These are NOT the files in my data folder (below). I'm pretty sure I do not use Ogg by default, unless that is the default out of the box. I see no "wavetrack" or anything "track". I had 5-6 tracks. The file listing is attached.

Are the track names in alpha/hex order? If I knew the proper XML format, I could probably reconstruct a valid aup file.

<import filename="Audio Track.ogg" offset="0.00000000" mute="0" solo="0" height="40" minimized="0" gain="1.0" pan="0.0"/>
<import filename="Audio Track-2.ogg" offset="422.83308390" mute="0" solo="0" height="40" minimized="0" gain="1.0" pan="0.0"/>
<import filename="Audio Track-3.ogg" offset="950.04215420" mute="0" solo="0" height="40" minimized="0" gain="1.0" pan="0.0"/>
<import filename="Audio Track-4.ogg" offset="1201.32850340" mute="0" solo="0" height="40" minimized="0" gain="1.0" pan="0.0"/>
<import filename="Audio Track-5.ogg" offset="1595.81213120" mute="0" solo="0" height="40" minimized="0" gain="1.0" pan="0.0"/>
<import filename="Audio Track-6.ogg" offset="2301.91152807" mute="0" solo="0" height="40" minimized="0" gain="1.0" pan="0.0"/>
<import filename="" offset="2666.77329820" mute="0" solo="0" height="40" minimized="0" gain="1.0" pan="0.0"/>
<import filename="" offset="3635.36317717" mute="0" solo="0" height="40" minimized="0" gain="1.0" pan="0.0"/>
<import filename="" offset="3761.35860858" mute="0" solo="0" height="40" minimized="0" gain="1.0" pan="0.0"/>
<import filename="" offset="3916.23148125" mute="0" solo="0" height="40" minimized="0" gain="1.0" pan="0.0"/>
<import filename="" offset="3956.88575269" mute="0" solo="0" height="40" minimized="0" gain="1.0" pan="0.0"/>
Attachments
data-files.txt
(78.89 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
cbp67

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:32 pm

Why wouldn't I want to use projects?

Because of this exact problem. If anything goes wrong, you have no show even though it looks like you do. If you have multiple edited tracks one above the other, you have no choice but to use a Project.
If I knew the proper XML format, I could probably reconstruct a valid aup file.

See my graphic example. This was a simple stereo show. The top third is the header, the next third is Left and the bottom third is Right. The AU files alternate Left/Right and they are intentionally named out of sequence.

Scroll down for manual recovery. If you have a mono clean recording (no edits), it's sometimes possible to recover using the time stamps.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/recovery.html
http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/reco ... ually.html

Open up one of your working projects or make a simple duplicate of the failed one and read the AUP Project Manager file. I've never seen a detailed description of the format past this.

It's generally accepted that if you lose the AUP file on an edited show, that's the end of the world. The AUP file keeps track of the edits and discontinuities.

We should wait for a senior forum elf.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by billw58 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:16 pm

The contents of that AUP file is for the "compressed" project you tried to save then trashed. If you can find a _data folder that contains those OGG files then you might be able to reconstruct the project.
-- Bill
billw58
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by cbp67 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:49 pm

Okay. So I found this wiki/doc for recovering Audacity projects, and posting it here in case someone else wants to try it.
http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/reco ... ually.html

However, I must say, Audacity makes this ridiculously difficult. The files are randomly named?? Why not name them sequentially? One of the first steps in this recovery process is to literally rename all the files sequentially based on timestamp. Why wouldn't they start out that way? Sorry, just frustrated...

I wrote myself a simple python script that renamed all the files sequentially based on timestamp. I was able to recover most of the audio, but two of my d0x folders failed to recover using the audacity_recovery app : failed with "OverflowError: long int too large to convert to int". (screenshot attached) Each d0x folder only contains about 250 files. I had six d0x folders (d00-d05) and 4 of them converted cleanly. Two of them failed, but did produce a single wav file with partial audio at least.

So I've recovered most of the audio, and I'll just have to re-record portions.

If anyone knows how I might fix the OverflowError, let me know.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 11.43.13 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 11.43.13 AM.png (110.28 KiB) Viewed 195 times
cbp67

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:22 pm

The files are randomly named??

In older Audacity versions, they were. I remember when they did that random thing they were solving a very real production problem whose description escapes me. It's been plaguing performers ever since.
Sorry, just frustrated...

I can make it worse. The developer daddies don't think this is a big problem and I don't think it's even on the Problems To Be Solved list.

Audacity 2.2.0 will shortly be out. I asked if this was the version with the single file Project format (hopefully).

Ummmmmmm.

No.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:27 pm

I guess it's good to ask if you know why the show failed? I believe the AUP file is written last, so it's the most likely to go if there is a timing or writing error.

The up side is you can publish your rescue process if it works better than ours. You'll be a hero.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:51 pm

cbp67 wrote:The files are randomly named?? Why not name them sequentially?

I don't know all the technical details, but I do recall that when block file writing changed from sequential numbering to partially random numbering, Audacity suddenly became much more stable and automatic data recovery improved immensely.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Next

Return to Mac OS X