Sliding Time Scale crashes Audacity

Hello all,

I’ve run into a bit of a problem that I really need to figure out a solution to. When trying to apply the “Sliding Time Scale/Pitch Shift” to a track, I consistently get the spinning beach ball of death. This is completely dependent upon what values I enter into the “Initial Tempo Change” and “Final Tempo Change” boxes - some work fine while others cause Audacity to become nonresponsive immediately upon clicking OK. For example, entering -0.8 and -0.12 works perfectly fine, but entering -0.8 and -0.11 causes the crash. I cannot determine any rhyme or reason to which values cause the crash, other than they always seem to be the exact values I need!

I am running Mac OS X 10.13 and have tried both Audacity 2.1.3 and 2.2.0 beta. I have tried using the effect on different audio files from different recording sessions across multiple weeks. No matter the variables, I always run into the same problem when entering the “forbidden” values.

If nobody has found a solution to this, could anyone perhaps recommend another program or website that would let me gradually adjust a track’s speed over time? I really need to use this exact effect but am stuck here.

Thank you for any and all help you can provide.

You get the SBBOD when the Mac takes longer than the expected time to complete a task. So Audacity didn’t necessarily crash. It was just waiting for a process to complete. Did Audacity actually vanish by itself?

Did you ever wait it out?

Have you done any of the Usual Tricks? Shutdown and restart. Disconnect the network/Shut down WiFi. Don’t start any other programs that need sound services such as Chat or Skype.

I’m not advocating this, but does it work if you overshoot the correction and then back up with a second application? Or hit it in two applications?

We’re obviously shootin’ for solving it, but anything you do to change the problem is valuable to know.

There’s a way to register Audacity to the Mac so it doesn’t try to battery-save nap at the wrong time.

High Sierra has only been available since June. Do you always jump right on the very latest update? That’s dangerous. That means nobody in Audacity development has checked the program.

Did High Sierra come with your machine? Can you roll back to the last OS that worked?

Koz

There’s another one.

Run Activity Monitor. I have it in my dock. I don’t remember where I got it from. Go > Utilities??

See which app or what process goes nuts when you get the SBBOD.

Koz

Which variables are those? I’ve never used Sliding Time. Does preview work?

Koz