Mono files converting to stereo when imported

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Mono files converting to stereo when imported

Permanent link to this post Posted by dmakagon » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:34 am

I have some students in an audio production class who are using audacity. I'm more familiar with Pro Tools and Audition. They're encountering a strange problem. Their recordings made with Marantz field recorders are mono, 16 bit, WAV files. When the files are dragged into a mono audacity track or when they import through the menu bar, the tracks are created as stereo tracks. I don't know if the students are using High Siera but I don't think so. When one of the students converted the track back to mono in Audacity the track played at a slower speed.

Is there something we need to fix in the settings so the mono track will import as a mono track?

Is there a reason why the conversion back to mono would produce a track playback at a slowed down speed?

Thanks in advance for any help with this issue.
dmakagon

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: Mono files converting to stereo when imported

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:32 am

Which Audacity?

Right click or control-click one of the files > Get INFO. Is it what you think it is? What's the sample rate? 48000?

Create a 10 second test clip of any sound from one of those recorders (read the milk carton) and post it on the forum. Scroll down from a forum text-entry window > Upload attachment.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Return to Mac OS X