audio cuts in and out...

Twice now I have been recording an hour long podcast episode with my friend, but when I go back to edit the episode I find half the audio is missing because it cuts in and out so much. Why is this? What is causing it? I can’t figure out why this would be, I have no other programs running so it isn’t the system memory.

We don’t know exactly what causes it, but we have a workaround.

Go to Audacity > Preferences, then the Recording section. Set “Audio to buffer” as low as you can consistent with still getting a good recording. Try 20 milliseconds.

By the way, what interface are you using? This problem usually shows up when using an external USB audio converter.

– Bill

Probably also a good idea to set the system sample rate (in “Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup”) the same as the sample rate that you wish to use in Audacity.
To set the default sample rate in Audacity, “Preferences > Quality”.

I already had it set to 50, but I guess I’ll lower it to 20.

I’m using a FocusRite Scarlett 2i2.

What should the sample rate be? I’m new to audio, I don’t really know what those settings should be.

Set the sample rate to 44100 and the sample format to 16-bit integer, both in the Focusrite (through Audio-MIDI Setup - the information on this page might help) and in Audacity (at Quality Preferences).

– Bill

I have 44100 and 16-bit in the Audacity settings now. Can’t figure out the FocusRite one though… it says 24bit and it is greyed out, so it doesn’t seem like I can change it.

Which version of the 2i2 do you have? Did it come with a driver installer?
What do you see in Audio-MIDI Setup when you select the 2i2? A screen shot may help.
This page may help.
– Bill

Hey I am using audacity 2.1.3 and I am also having this problem. I attempted changing the project rate too and this still occurs. It’s really frustrating as this used to not happen on my old laptop which had less specs and I used a really cheap microphone.

Try changing the Audio to Buffer setting in Recording Preferences to 20.
– Bill

As it turns out, there’s an FAQ for that.
– Bill