Audio cutting out

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Audio cutting out

Permanent link to this post Posted by mellowmuffle330 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:14 pm

Audacity 2.1.3
Mac OSX El capitan
.dmg

Hello,
While recording a vinyl record today everything sounded great while recording, however, when I listened back the audio file skipped tiny sections of the music almost as if the record had skipped, but it hadn't. What would cause this? I recently recorded something in 24bit 48khz and it came out fine, but today when this issue occurred I had bumped it up to 24bit 96khz. I am using a project USB v phone preamp that process the signal from the turntable into my laptop. Could this be a result of the preamp, say if it wasn't rated to process information of such high quality?
Thanks for your help!
mellowmuffle330

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: Audio cutting out

Permanent link to this post Posted by billw58 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:43 pm

Given the frequency response and noise floor of vinyl, 16-bit 44100 Hz is all you need.

Given that the problems started when you tried 96000 Hz, I suspect that is the problem. Go back to what works.

-- Bill
billw58
Forum Staff

Re: Audio cutting out

Permanent link to this post Posted by mellowmuffle330 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:13 pm

Thankyou!
mellowmuffle330

Return to Mac OS X