Unable to record cassettes

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Unable to record cassettes

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gary J » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:20 pm

Hi

I recently received an ezcap recorder to transfer my cassettes to MP3. I have tried everything to make it work. I have looked at all support and videos I can find. It will not record any sound. If I plug in headphones to the unit I can hear the music. I am using Audacity 2.1 for Mac. I have an IMac using Yosemite. Please help or maybe suggest a different unit that will work. I am very frustrated. Thank you.

Gary J
Gary J

Operating System: OS X 10.10 Yosemite

Re: Unable to record cassettes

Permanent link to this post Posted by billw58 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:03 pm

Does this page help?

-- Bill
billw58
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gary J » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:16 pm

Hi Bill,

Thank you for the quick reply. Unfortunately when I go to input the choice is only USB PnP Audio device. I did highlight and save that selection earlier. I am wondering if I was sent the wrong device, it has 3 small windows on the top. the others I have looked at in all the youtube tutorials look different. I was so excited about this.

Gary J
Gary J

Permanent link to this post Posted by billw58 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:48 am

Are you saying that in System Preferences > Sound > Input you have "USB PnP Audio Device" as a choice? If you select that, then play a cassette, do you see the input meter moving in the System Preferences window?

-- Bill
billw58
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gary J » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:27 pm

Hi Bill

There were two selections I highlighted the first and nothing happened, but when I highlighted the one below it worked. I will let you know if this changes anything as far as recording. Off to work. Thanks

Gary
Gary J

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gary J » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:04 pm

Hi Bill,

I tried but still not recording. Should I return this one and try some other product. The other thing I wanted to ask is do I need to download "Lame" ignored to transfer the files. I ultimately want to add to my iTunes library.

Thanks,

Gary J
Gary J

Permanent link to this post Posted by billw58 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:25 pm

Gary J wrote:There were two selections I highlighted the first and nothing happened, but when I highlighted the one below it worked. I will let you know if this changes anything as far as recording. Off to work. Thanks

Where were the "two selections"? In the Sound Preferences Input panel? What do you mean by "the first" and "the one below"? What are they called, exactly? Which one worked? What do you mean "it worked"? Did you see the sound meter in the Sound Preferences panel lighting up? You say you still can't record.

iTunes will make MP3s for you from AIF or WAV files. Let's get this thing working then you can worry about whether or not you need LAME.

-- Bill
billw58
Forum Staff

Return to Mac OS X