Audio speed

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Re: Audio speed

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:23 pm

How did the Activity Monitor display come out? Memory is a good snapshot of what's going on in the machine during performance.

Macs have a memory checker. I need to look that one up.

Do you run any other apps while you're performing? I probably wouldn't.

Did you bottom feed the machine? Is it the smallest, most underpowered, "affordable" machine you could get? Macs do OK shuffling apps in tiny memory, but sooner or later they all have to start swapping to hard drive and then performance goes into the gutter. Do you have a spinning metal hard drive? My last four machines all had Solid State Drives and maxed out memory and I've never had performance problems with any of them.

Past that I got nothing. The programmers have a thing called "Moonphase Error." Sometimes when the second monthly moon is in the fifth waxing quarter on Thursday, the program will crash. Those make everyone nuts.

Troubleshooting does give us some hints:

Making it better or worse is equally valuable. Can you force it to be worse?

Change things in sequence and pay strict attention to what happens, even things that seemingly have nothing to do with your job.

Run diagnostics (see Activity Monitor).

Change half the system. This one can start to get expensive. The problem will in all probability follow only one of the two halves. Borrow or rent a second computer.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:31 pm

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-test ... -your-mac/

I don't think it gets diagnostics from the Apple servers, as it says. That wouldn't be useful. I think it's getting the service from the emergency diagnostics portion of your drive. I did this recently and it gives you an option of one fast pass, or repeated passes. Select repeated. They warn you it might take a while. Go make tea.

Make sure your computer's vents are unrestricted. The machine is going to get warm with stress tests.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:32 pm

Do you get the Chong each time you start?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Inletje » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:54 am

Sorry, I know I should go Mac OS, but it seems locked. I have a a problem with audio codec. Cupertino has been open from its lossless audio codec (ALAC), ALAC can reduce the amount of memory required for audio files by up to 50% without losing the original recorded fidelity, which is not as lossy as MP3 and AAC, but when I converted my FLAC to ALAC, I failed for known reason, I downloaded a program (http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/flac-to-alac.html) from a giveaway site,but it called me to set some parameters, such as framerate, I don't know about these parameters, I have checked http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tutorial_exporting_to_ituns.html, till no idea anyone can help me? please
Inletje

Operating System: Windows 7

Previous

Return to Mac OS X