Stereo problems when recording vinyl

I have recently decided to make an effort to digitise some records with Audacity 2.1.3, using the dmg, on my Mac, using OS X 10.12.6.

In order to get a stereo input for the computer, I bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, I am finding that when I try to play music into the computer, I can record but a stereo option is not made available on Audacity for the usb input, and the mono that I get is not true mono, simply duplicating one channel in both speakers. Is this remediable? Is it just because I bought a cheap piece of tat adaptor, and is there something else I should have?

Please advise and thank you in advance.

Do NOT run Audacity from the DMG - drag the DMG to your Applications folder and then run it from there.

WC

It’s a lovely adapter, but it’s mono microphone and stereo headphone. I have a Behringer UCA202 stereo adapter for jobs like this. Actually, I have two.

That’s if you have a music system. If you have a naked analog turntable, Behringer makes a UFO202 with built-in phono RIAA processing.

Koz

No, I did that already, I was just being as brief as possible. Thanks for your help tho.

Thanks very much, I should have known that such an unsophisticated piece of equipment was unlikely to do the job but I am an utter novice at all this. Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll have a look around and see how cheap I can go : )

I was just being as brief as possible.

We’re hyper sensitive to each word in a posting. We have to build your system in our imagination to “feel” how it works and what’s wrong.

I’ll have a look around and see how cheap I can go : )

The UCA202 is not a bad deal. Whatever you buy has to specifically say Stereo In and Out. Don’t just assume it does.

Also know that cheap USB devices sometimes have troubles with cheap computers. They can’t both cut corners at the same time. There is a popular USB microphone that will not connect to some machines because of that.

“What’s that high-pitch whining sound in the background?”

That’s you looking for the receipts so you can send it back.

Koz

Fair

The UCA202 is not a bad deal. Whatever you buy has to > specifically > say Stereo In and Out. Don’t just assume it does.

Also know that cheap USB devices sometimes have troubles with cheap computers. They can’t both cut corners at the same time. There is a popular USB microphone that will not connect to some machines because of that.

“What’s that high-pitch whining sound in the background?”

That’s you looking for the receipts so you can send it back.

Koz

Yes, about £30 does look like the limit for this kind of thing and I can’t see anything for less that I’m certain has a stereo input, although it is confusing, the thing that I bought said “Stereo” on it in large friendly letters.

Regarding cheap computers, I have a MacBook Pro, so that should be fine I’d have thought. The adapter, despite its obvious flimsiness, actually had reasonably good sound for what it was, just not in stereo. It’s as well it was cheap anyway, I debated paying £15 for something that looked half decent which probably wouldn’t have worked either.

Thanks to both of you for your help, it looks simple enough from here but I may yet be back.

Actually, they aren’t so much are they, only about £15. Not looked very hard yesterday.

I don’t think we’ve ever had complaints about this series—other than operator error. It’s certified for Perfect Overdubbing, too, if you decide to perform three-part harmony to yourself. You’re all set except for the microphone part.

Koz

There’s also the UFO-202, which has the RIAA phono pre-amp built in.
– Bill