Error opening sound device.

I’m running Audacity 2.1.3 under macOS Sierra 10.12.6 on an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), 3.5GHz i5 with 32GB RAM.

When I last used Audacity on August 11th it worked perfectly. When I fired it up today, I got “Error opening sound device. Try changing the audio host, playback device and the project sample rate.” The problem is everything appears to be set up correctly and every other app I’ve tried that uses audio (iTunes, Chrome, Premiere Pro 6.0, and VLC) works fine. I’ve also deleted Audacity, downloaded a new installer, and re-installed.
Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 4.31.24 PM.jpg
As you can see, the project and track rates are 44,100Hz, the track is stereo, and 32-bit float. Audio Midi Setup shows that the Built-in Output device selected in Audacity is also configured for 2 channels, 32-float, and 44.1 kHz.

I’m using Digital Out in System Sound Preferences which was the same as in August. My System Information audio report is below.

I did have eqMac2 (https://bitgapp.com/eqmac/) installed which I had upgraded to from the original version a couple of weeks ago so I uninstalled that and rebooted (via shutdown). No luck. I’ve been wrestling with this for probably two hours so I turn to you, oh oracle of Audacity, for enlightenment and succor.

Thanks in advance.

Devices:

Built-in Microphone:

Input Channels:	2
  Manufacturer:	Apple Inc.
  Current SampleRate:	44100
  Transport:	Built-in

Built-in Output:

Default Output Device:	Yes
  Default System Output Device:	Yes
  Output Channels:	2

USB audio CODEC:

Manufacturer:	Burr-Brown from TI
  Transport:	USB

USB audio CODEC:

Default Input Device:	Yes
  Input Channels:	1

Premiere Pro 6.0:

Current SampleRate:	0
  Transport:	Unknown

Built-in Microphone:

Input Channels:	2

Built-in Output:

Default Output Device:	Yes
  Default System Output Device:	Yes

USB audio CODEC:

USB audio CODEC:

Default Input Device:	Yes
  Input Channels:	1

Premiere Pro 6.0:

Current SampleRate:	0
  Transport:	Unknown

Intel High Definition Audio:

Audio ID:	122

Headphone:

Connection:	Combination Output

Speaker:

Connection:	Internal

Internal Microphone:

Connection:	Internal

S/PDIF Optical Digital Audio Output:

External Microphone / iPhone Headset:

HDMI / DisplayPort Output:

Connection:	Display

Headphone:

Two items.

Audacity doesn’t Play Well With Others. Close any other apps that have anything to do with sound. I’m guessing Premiere is struggling with Audacity for mastery of the sound services.

There’s a trick to “clearing out” Audacity. Simple reinstalling doesn’t do it.

Go (top of your desktop) > ~/Library/Application Support

Take the audacity folder to the trash.

When you install the new Audacity, it should rebuild the folder. Fair Warning: That will take everything to the trash, all your custom settings, all your filters and plugins. Keep safety copies of all your valuable plugins so you can install them again.

Koz

I rebooted, had no other apps running, used your “clearing out” method", and it still claims problems.

In Audio-MIDI setup, try changing the built-in output device to “2ch-16bit integer”.

– Bill

That darned 32 bit confusion again. It not only confuses users, but also Core Audio.

Optical digital out doesn’t support 32 bit, obviously as there are no 32 bit output devices. And only 1, very expensive input device.

If you output to an analog audio port, Core Audio will automagically resample on the fly. You might think you’re listening to 32 bit, but you’re not.

In case of a digital connection, the Mac doesn’t resample. It only defaults to the most used standard, eg 24 bit, 48 KHz.

Most optical ports on consumer devices do not support anything higher. On pro gear, it can go up to 192 KHz, but still no 32 bit.

That’s why I still think Audacity’s use of 32 bit internally should be hidden from the user. In the eyes of some professionals it reads as “only 32 bits”. Most DAW’s use 64 bit internally, but don’t put that in export options, as it is rarely used.

The user simply sees “more”.

More is not always better.