low record level when digitizing vinyl LPs

Mac OS 10.12.6
Audacity 2.1.3
Behringer U-Control Uca222 Ultra-Low Latency 2 In/2 Out Usb Audio Interface With Digital Output
Phillips GA-212 turntable with Stanton cartridge
Advent 300 receiver

I am trying to get set to digitize my vinyl LPs using my legacy (1975 era) sound system. I have connected the tape out RCA jacks of the receiver to the input RCA jacks on the UCA222 and connected the UCA222 by its integral cable to the USB-2 to USBC dongle which then plugs in to my MacBook Pro. There is no gain control on the UCA222. The output level from the tape out jacks on the receiver does not change with the receiver’s volume control. The record level control on Audacity is disabled. When I record, the quality is good, but the level is low with the record level meters never getting above -21 to -18.

Does this matter? Would it be useful to use the amplify effect? Should I connect the headphone jack on the receiver to the UCA222 instead of using the tape out jacks on the receiver, since the output to thew phone jack is adjustable using the receiver’s volume control?

Those levels, while low, should not be an issue. The vinyl noise will overwhelm any electronic noise, so just use Amplify to correct the levels.

I use a UFO-202 (same as 222 but with switchable phono input) and get levels around -12dB.

– Bill

Very helpful. Thanks. Does the amplify effect affect sound level in WAV files exported from Audacity or just during playback within Audacity?

It affects the sound level in the exported WAVs too

WC