Input level rises after 8-9 seconds

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Re: Input level rises after 8-9 seconds

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:47 am

Right.

So it doesn't increase forever. It takes your low voice and progressively increases the volume until it's happy. It appears to reach maximum happiness around the ten second mark. The word "Essence" is very important. It's loud and would normally cause overload distortion but oddly there's no sign of damage. That and your voice has just the slightest "bad cellphone" quality.

You have voice or sound processing. I can't tell where or how, but it's unmistakable. I have a personal voice recorder that I can drive crazy by screaming once into the microphone and then start talking at normal volume. The recorded show sounds exactly like yours (without the scream). Very low volume slowly increasing to normal over 5 to 10 seconds.

I'll go back and read the post again.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:54 am

Remember this?
My Logitech headset is a communications device and comes with automatic pitch restrictions and sound processing. I've never been able to stop it and it makes the microphone quality not up to AudioBooks or better quality podcasts. More like cellphone voice.

You have the Logitech sickness. I don't know of any way to fix yours any more than I was able to fix mine.

I keep it in a nice bag in the closet.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by MrVulcan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:14 pm

In other words I need a new mic? How about the Shure SM7B?
MrVulcan

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:49 pm

Shure SM7B

Perfectly lovely microphone. That and the associated accessories and you should be good to go.

Sweetwater has a package with cables, stand and CloudLifter.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SM7BCloud

Add a Behringer UM2 to interface with USB and you're good to go. That's the little box to the left of the computer.

Substitute the SM7 for that microphone.

Feel free to throw in any of the rest of the stuff in that pix. I see the SM7 system doesn't come with a shock mount (the spider holding up the microphone). That's not critical. That's only important if you live next to a freeway, or as a recent poster, an apartment on busy La Brea in Hollywood. Floor rumble or vibration.

It also doesn't come with a pop and blast filter, but I'm thinking the foam cover takes care of that.

I think these are SM7s.

Please note both Pando and I are using Macs. They don't make noise. If your computer does, then you'll have to manage that.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by MrVulcan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:28 pm

The Shure SM7B has an XLR connector, which I don't know what to do with. Do you, Koz, or does anyone else have any recommendations? I need a mic with either a USB connector or...not sure what you call that other one, but it's also popular with computers.
MrVulcan

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:56 pm

The Shure SM7B has an XLR connector, which I don't know what to do with. Do you, Koz,

Totally. That's what the Behringer UM2 does. The socket on the front connects to the microphone.

Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 11.48.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 11.48.48 AM.png (180 KiB) Viewed 30 times

..with one of these.

And the USB connection on the back goes into the computer with a "USB printer cable" (A to B style, if you're counting).

The SM7 is not a particularly loud microphone. It's moving coil (dynamic) and has to push sound through the foam cover. So that's what the CloudLifter does. It's a volume booster. It goes between the microphone and the Behringer.

You don't need the CloudLifter if you have a real sound mixer. That's how I do it and that's how the Pando people did it, but that's more expensive and harder to use.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:01 pm

I need a mic with either a USB connector

You will be tempted with a Blue Yeti microphone. That one does plug directly into the computer with a USB cable and most people find it works OK. We do have a number of people on the forum posting about Yetis that don't work well. That's when it stops being fun. We can't always solve Yeti sound problems. Save your shipping information and receipts.

All that and you still shouldn't be in the same room with a noisy computer.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:06 pm

Oh and stay away from this adapter.

Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 6.22.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 6.22.19 PM.png (133.81 KiB) Viewed 29 times

That one claims to allow you to plug your XLR microphone into your soundcard.

It can cause a number of serious technical and production problems.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:37 pm

That's not to say that everything in the product line is suspect. The Yeti Pro® is a respectable microphone. Not "Pro Yeti," "Blackout Yeti," "Studio Yeti" or any other combination. The Yeti Pro is a higher-end microphone that has both USB and XLR connections on the bottom.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/YetiProStu

They could still surprise me, but the additional electronics inside should mean it's not subject to "Yeti Curse" noises and other problems.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Previous

Return to Mac OS X