Input level rises after 8-9 seconds

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Input level rises after 8-9 seconds

Permanent link to this post Posted by MrVulcan » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:41 pm

Hi everyone,

I've recently downloaded Audacity and tried to record with it. First, let me share what I'm using:

Computer: Mac Pro (Late 2013)
Operating System: macOS 10.12.5
Audacity version: 2.1.3

Now, on to my problem.

I'm trying to record voiceover demos using a Logitech headset. At the beginning, the recording level is just fine, but after 8 to 9 seconds, the recording level rises out of control.

Who can tell me why this is happening and/or what I can do about it?

Thank you!
MrVulcan

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: Input level rises after 8-9 seconds

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:27 pm

the recording level rises out of control.

Rises to somewhere? Or does it just keep increasing and sounding more and more crushed and buzzy?

It is possible to throw a Mac into feedback. I, myself did that with these fingers last week. Depending on the volume settings, you could get just about what you got. Starts out OK and then gets louder and louder.

Do you ever record internet content? YouTube? Do you have SoundFlower SoundFlowerPot or any of the tools in that family on your Mac?

Logitech USB headset? Analog? They make both.

Has this ever worked? Did you buy the headset for this? Are you a Gamer?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by MrVulcan » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:52 am

Sorry Koz! I meant it increases.

It's possible with any computer.

I have recorded one or two videos on YouTube and Vimeo. I have used software to redirect sound from one output to another, but that should all be gone now.

The headset is connected via USB.

As far as I know, this is the first time I use Audacity. I did not buy the headset specifically for voice recording, if that's what you mean. No, I'm not a gamer.
MrVulcan

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:43 am

Audacity gets its sound from the machine, not the device, and Audacity doesn't apply effects, filters and corrections during recording.

The two places to check and set system sound are Apple > System Preferences > Sound and Go > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup. Make sure your microphone and earphone are properly listed and configured in both places.

USB headsets can be a challenge because they can come with driver software and the drivers have to be up to date and compatible with the machine. It's not unusual for the drivers to not give you good, unrestricted access to the plain microphone and headphone.

A side note: My Logitech headset is a communications device and comes with automatic pitch restrictions and sound processing. I've never been able to stop it and it makes the microphone quality not up to AudioBooks or better quality podcasts. More like cellphone voice.

Another thing that can happen if the headset is old enough is the acoustic packing in the boom fails and the earpiece and microphone are feeding back right there.

Does it still do it if you turn playback completely off during a test recording?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by MrVulcan » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:15 pm

I checked the settings you suggested. I found a difference in bitrate, but nothing else. I corrected that difference, tried again, and still got the same result.

The headset I'm using did not come with any driver software.

I see you mentioning feedback, but that's not the kind of increase in volume that I'm hearing. There's no repeating sound sample, it's just the volume of the sound that should be there, keeps increasing.

I don't use the playback during my recording.

MrVulcan
MrVulcan

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:28 pm

Do a recording where you perform normally and just watch the volume increase for 30 seconds. Stop. File > Export > MP3: 128 quality. The file should be under 2MB and allow you to post it on the forum.

Scroll down from a forum text window > Upload Attachment > Browse.

Normally we would insist on a perfect WAV sound file, but I'm more interested in the longer clip.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by MrVulcan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:10 pm

I just tried to save a recording with the settings as in the screenshot below.

Structure Screenshot.jpg
Structure Screenshot.jpg (141.54 KiB) Viewed 428 times

Please let me know if you need translation.
Audacity crashed in the attempt.

MrVulcan
MrVulcan

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:03 pm

I don't think Audacity can export to a cloud. Try exporting to your local hard drive and then manually upload it to iCloud (assuming that is where you want it).
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:04 pm

And make sure we have good access. It's not unusual for someone to DropBox post for us and then lock it down by accident.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by MrVulcan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:19 pm

Although I believe I uploaded a recording already, I haven't heard from you for quite some time.
I'm sorry if I appear impatient. I only want to try uploading the file again, to make sure that you receive it.
Attachments
Structure Test.mp3
File recorded as per your request
(326.33 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
MrVulcan

Next

Return to Mac OS X