Inputs and Track Issues?

Hi all,

I’m new to this but I’m having some issues with my Pro Tools system that will be very expensive to resolve, so I’m hoping for the time being that there is an easier fix with using Audacity.

I do a podcast and in Pro Tools I have my voice in track number one and my caller guest (either phone or Skype) in track number two.

Splitting the audio that way allows me to do different processing for the phone or Skype than I use for my microphone.

The problem is I can’t seem to get this going in Audacity. Everything is showing up in left channel only.

Equipment:

MacBook Pro. El Capitan OSX 10.11.6

Mackie 802 VLZ3

Behringer U-Control UCA202 input.

The main question is how do I configure the inputs for left and right in Audacity? Is there a way to do that?

Also, how do I get Audacity to stop creating a brand new track every time I stop a recording and start again? I would like to keep my audio on one track only for editing purposes.

Record as “2 channel (stereo)”.
You can then split the stereo track into separate mono tracks. See: Splitting and Joining Stereo Tracks - Audacity Manual

Hi Steve,

Tried that but I’m still getting left channel audio only.

The sound from all the outboard gear is working fine, left and right. Sound card on the Macbook is working properly too with left and right inputs and outputs working.

But Audacity is only receiving and recording left channel audio. Nothing in the right channel.

Is there any kind of an input/output control feature for Audacity, and if so, where is it?

No there isn’t. Audacity just records whatever you send it.
If you record 2 channels and you’re only getting sound in the left, then it’s because Audacity is only receiving sound in the left.
My guess is that something is set up wrong in the Mac Sound settings. If not there, then you need to trace the signal through to see where / when the right channel disappears (could just be a bad lead perhaps?)