My export files are bigger than the originals

Being a newby wich explains a lot of my problems no doubt, but still after several attempts and can’t figure out why my export files are larger than the original ones.

Some info.

I like to listen to spiritual music so i convert them from YT and then convert them into 432 hz

Using the advice from a fellow called our solaris and made up a converting chain for batch conversions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6zpi90IT1g&list=PLQkQfzsIUwRbo2zNX_loufVPXXjcVbPN9

When doing this my output files are much larger and taking a lot of time to finish.

I have tried to tweak the settings, but it’s crazy how long it all takes.

After some browsing i noticed that .wav files are better than mp3 due to lossless compression.
Again i’m not into this subject although i try to gain experience in getting there, but it’s over my head on this one

Please advice it’s much appreciated

I like to listen to spiritual music so i convert them from YT and then convert them into 432 hz

Right. You downloaded or captured them from YouTube and then I lose it. What does “convert them into 432” mean?

Audacity doesn’t edit MP3 and other compressed files. It opens them, edits them and then makes a whole new file when it’s done. So it’s totally possible you can start with tiny MP3 files and end up with much larger ones by exporting at a higher compression quality.

WAV files aren’t compressed. Exporting to WAV doesn’t give you perfect files. It just means the sound damage caused by the YouTube compression and processing won’t get any worse

Koz

To clarify that point:

MP3 encoding reduces the sound quality because the encoding applied “lossy compression”. Lossy compression is a means of reducing the file size by discarding some of the ‘less important’ audio data and then cramming the remaining data tightly together. Like making a photocopy of a photocopy, each new ‘generation’ is lower quality than the last, and there is no way to recover the lost data other than to go back to the original (or an earlier generation copy).

WAV encoding does not improve sound quality, it just prevents the sound quality from getting worse. It’s like a very very high quality photocopy where there is virtually no loss of quality. WAV files are much larger than MP3 files because they are not compressed (it’s not “lossless compression”, it’s “no compression”).

FLAC files are the same quality as WAV files, but about half the size. The reduced size is achieved by cramming the audio data together as tightly as possible, but no data is discarded in the process - this is “lossless compression”. Converting from WAV to FLAC and back to WAV will produce a new WAV file that is identical to the original (lossless). The downside of FLAC is that it is less widely supported than WAV or MP3.

He means that he dropped the pitch by -0.32 semitones in the belief that doing so would make the music more “spiritual”.
(it doesn’t - it’s just mumbo jumbo created by the American political extremist Lyndon LaRouche)

ok good info wich i didn’t know
I have to try to see what works best

Thanks everybody it’s much appreciated

Oh. That’s the Oboe “A 440” thing.
What happens if the oboe calls in sick?

Koz

Koz

Everybody has a richt to have there own opinion on subject that go beyond what science can explain.

Sure they do. Kyrie Irving (famous American basketball player) believes the world is a flat disk (possibly he has read too much Terry Pratchett, though in real life Pratchett was a notable amateur astronomer). But as with flat-Earth theory, there are many practical, logical and empirical problems with the 432 Hz theory. Koz was hinting at one of the practical problems - there is no guarantee that the instruments used in the original recording are tuned exactly to A440, in fact for recording of Baroque music it is very common for instruments to be tuned below A440. Similarly, any recordings that include a real (mechanical) organ will invariably be tuned to the organ which is quite likely to be tuned higher or lower than A440, and even if tuned to A440 may not be tuned in equal temperament (meaning that “A440” refers only to tuning the “A” notes to multiple of 440 but says nothing about the tuning of all the other notes). Of course if the original recording is not tuned to exactly A440, then pitch shifting (by any means) by -0.32 semitones will not tune the recording to A432.

Please note that “A440” or “A432” refer to “pitch standards” of tuning systems, whereas “440 Hz” or “432 Hz” refer to single frequencies. Saying that some music is “converted to 432 Hz” is nonsense, because (literally) that would mean that the music has been converted to one pulsating “beep” (sine wave). The correct phrase would be “tuned to A432 pitch standard”.

However, interesting as it may be to discus beliefs, the purpose of this forum is for discussing Audacity software, so to return to that question:
The size of an MP3 file depends on two factors:

1. The duration
  2. The bit-rate

For a file of a given length, the lower the bit-rate, the smaller the file will be, but also the greater the loss in sound quality. Encoding to MP3 always discards some of the audio information, so there is always some loss of sound quality (just as a photocopy reduces image quality). Repeated encoding has a cumulative effect, (like making a photocopy of a photocopy) that gradually deteriorates the quality. The lost quality cannot be recovered,

So when encoding to MP3, there is a trade-off between file size, and how much sound quality is lost. High bit-rates preserve more of the sound quality but with larger files, whereas low bit-rates give smaller files but worse sound quality.
For info about setting Export format options, see: Export Audio - Audacity Manual

Steve,
Many many thanks for the extended info
Although it is a subject open to lots of discussion like so many other subjects either way every person makes a choice
No matter what choice one is making it’s good.
Let’s leave it there.

Thanks everybody for your input and info it’s appreciated.