Some sort of echo in recordings. How to eliminate?

Hello. I have been trying to record some interviews online, in different websites, mostly for educational purposes ( including interviews that I have done myself) using current and previous versions of Audacity, and current and previous OSX.

Currently I am in OS X Sierra and Audacity 2.1.3, and the “RANDOM” event of echo popping out in some recordings is becoming more annoying and more frequent.

At some point I thought it was a matter of high volume applied to the recording , and I lowered there volume, all to no avail. I have not tried to apply any sound effects ( so no echo on purpose) and the defect keeps showing up in varying degrees.

Very old previous versions of Audacity never gave me this glitch. Now I got a brand new 2017 iMac as my main desktop, so I can not go back to some of the previous versions, and I would not like to do it anyways. I rather have this sorted out!

So, in brief, has anyone found this issue, and if so, has anyone found a solution? Is there some setting I am doing wrong here? The Manual and the FAQ’s do not mention this. And BTW, it has also happened with Skype.

Thanks in advance!

And BTW, it has also happened with Skype.

And that’s the first alarm bell right there. You can’t easily record Skype on a Mac (or any machine) and you can’t easily record on-line content on a Mac.

So how are you doing that? What’s the setup or software?

Koz

Koz, I do not follow… I am using Audacity 2.1.3 on Mac OS X Sierra. I am using SoundFlower ( 2 Channels) as my Device, and both Input Recording volume and Output volume set at 80%. All other stuff is set by the app, meaning, there is little else to modify.

On many occasions, I was able to get perfect sound recordings, years go, even from Skype! That is the magic of Audacity.

Now I am getting echo in similar recordings. Any suggestion?

THX!

Many thanks but I already sorted it out!

It turned that there was a more recent version of LAME that I just installed, and it is all sorted out. I am back to my good quality recordings.

Thanks!!