Audacity can't see data folder

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Re: Audacity can't see data folder

Permanent link to this post Posted by billw58 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:45 pm

I misunderstood. You said:
Gale Andrews wrote:You should never copy the AUP file and _data folder into the same folder. This will destroy your project after you open the copy a couple of times.

I think what you meant was:
You should never copy the AUP file and _data folder into the same folder as the original project. This will destroy your project after you open the copy a couple of times.

That makes perfect sense.

-- Bill
billw58
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:45 am

billw58 wrote:I misunderstood. You said:
Gale Andrews wrote:You should never copy the AUP file and _data folder into the same folder. This will destroy your project after you open the copy a couple of times.

I think what you meant was:
You should never copy the AUP file and _data folder into the same folder as the original project. This will destroy your project after you open the copy a couple of times.

That makes perfect sense.

-- Bill

Do you agree the Manual is clear, Bill? I am not seeing the difference in your interpretation. Copy your project from its special starting folder into your master projects folder, then select and copy and paste that AUP file and _data folder in the master folder using Explorer. You have exactly the same problem and people do that sort of thing as a "backup".

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:29 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:Copy your project from its special starting folder into your master projects folder, then select and copy and paste that AUP file and _data folder in the master folder using Explorer. You have exactly the same problem

Please say that again with example file paths. The way that reads sounds just like the "OK" example that I gave,
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:42 pm

steve wrote:
Gale Andrews wrote:Copy your project from its special starting folder into your master projects folder, then select and copy and paste that AUP file and _data folder in the master folder using Explorer. You have exactly the same problem

Please say that again with example file paths. The way that reads sounds just like the "OK" example that I gave,

Please read the Manual.

Your premaster folder is C:\Premasters. You have saved Premaster.AUP and Premaster_data in there. You are happy so you copy C:\Premasters\Premaster.AUP and C:\Premasters\Premaster_data into your masters folder C:\Masters.

Now in C:\Masters select Premaster.AUP and Premaster_data in Explorer. Copy. Paste into C:\Masters. I do NOT call C:\Masters the original project folder. That was C:\Premasters. The problem is copy-pasting into the SAME folder in which you made the copy action.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:27 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:Now in C:\Masters select Premaster.AUP and Premaster_data in Explorer. Copy. Paste into C:\Masters.

I presume that you then have something like:
Code: Select all
C:\Masters\Premaster.AUP
C:\Masters\Premaster_data
C:\Masters\Premaster (copy).AUP
C:\Masters\Premaster_data (copy)

where the "(copy)" version is a broken project. Is that the problem that you are describing?
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by billw58 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:16 pm

steve wrote:
Gale Andrews wrote:Now in C:\Masters select Premaster.AUP and Premaster_data in Explorer. Copy. Paste into C:\Masters.

I presume that you then have something like:
Code: Select all
C:\Masters\Premaster.AUP
C:\Masters\Premaster_data
C:\Masters\Premaster (copy).AUP
C:\Masters\Premaster_data (copy)

where the "(copy)" version is a broken project. Is that the problem that you are describing?

Actually, you can open the "(copy)" AUP project file and work on it. But it is referencing the non-copy data folder. So you could make some edits, close it then open the non-copy AUP file. Now you have problems (missing or extra blockfiles).

But I can't see how, after making copies as you've described, you could destroy the non-copy AUP file if you never open the "(copy)" AUP file. Of course you will destroy the "(copy)" project, so doing this as a backup is pointless.

My use of the word phrase "original folder" was meant to imply "don't make a copy of a project in the same folder". So, Gale, you're right - you're original statement was correct. But my first reading of it was copying a project from one folder to another, in that case "same" meant that the AUP and _data folder went into the "same" folder (not necessarily the folder they came from). Ah, the vagaries and ambiguities of the English language. :D

-- Bill
billw58
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:43 pm

My use of the word phrase "original folder" was meant to imply "don't make a copy of a project in the same folder". So, Gale, you're right - you're original statement was correct. But my first reading of it was copying a project from one folder to another, in that case "same" meant that the AUP and _data folder went into the "same" folder (not necessarily the folder they came from).

Seems simple enough.

We used to have a saying that if you can't write clear instructions for what you're doing, you might be doing it wrong. Come oooooooon untary file system.

I can think of one problem with abandoning the split file system. The doyens of the system will no longer wear the robes, crest and fuzzy slippers. No more audiences with the wizards. All gone. Or I guess "redundant" is the phrase.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:14 pm

Whatever the developers do I'm not giving up the fuzzy slippers. You know how brutal the winters can be here.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Previous

Return to Mac OS X