Audacity can't see data folder

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Audacity can't see data folder

Permanent link to this post Posted by punkin » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:04 am

Hi. I'm using Audacity 2.1.3 on a 2014 Mac Air updated to Sierra, via dmg. It's been performing oddly lately - crashed three times in an all-day editing session last week. Once I shipped the project I used CleanMyMac to reset the app. I don't know if that's fixed everything - just opened it for the first time since then.

Today's problem: I'm trying to open a file I've been working on. The data file for it is right next to it. But I'm getting an error message that it can't be opened because the data file can't be found.

Both files were in a Dropbox folder. I moved them out to the desktop and tried again. Wouldn't open. Moved them back, because why not try? But the same result. I tried shouting "The folder is RIGHT THERE!". No change.

In the pictures you can see them sitting next to each other in the file. (I've blurred the file names.) When I drill down into the data file, everything looks normal: e00 file --> d00 d01 d02 d03 files, all with .aud files inside, as shown.

Any way to fix this?
Attachments
Audacity - 1.jpg
Snug as bugs in the same folder
Audacity - 1.jpg (48.9 KiB) Viewed 409 times
Audacity - 2.jpg
Drilled down into d01
Audacity - 2.jpg (77.81 KiB) Viewed 409 times
punkin

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: Audacity can't see data folder

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:19 am

Much safer to avoid "Dropbox", in my opinion.

As you can see, your _data folder is not named the same as the AUP file. If your AUP file is "foo_raw.aup" then your _data folder should be "foo_raw_data".

You should never copy the AUP file and _data folder into the same folder. This will destroy your project after you open the copy a couple of times.

If you have any more concerns please attach the AUP file itself.

Gale

punkin wrote:Hi. I'm using Audacity 2.1.3 on a 2014 Mac Air updated to Sierra, via dmg. It's been performing oddly lately - crashed three times in an all-day editing session last week. Once I shipped the project I used CleanMyMac to reset the app. I don't know if that's fixed everything - just opened it for the first time since then.

Today's problem: I'm trying to open a file I've been working on. The data file for it is right next to it. But I'm getting an error message that it can't be opened because the data file can't be found.

Both files were in a Dropbox folder. I moved them out to the desktop and tried again. Wouldn't open. Moved them back, because why not try? But the same result. I tried shouting "The folder is RIGHT THERE!". No change.

In the pictures you can see them sitting next to each other in the file. (I've blurred the file names.) When I drill down into the data file, everything looks normal: e00 file --> d00 d01 d02 d03 files, all with .aud files inside, as shown.

Any way to fix this?
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by billw58 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:38 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:You should never copy the AUP file and _data folder into the same folder. This will destroy your project after you open the copy a couple of times.

Whoa! How can that happen? If this is true we need to update the Audacity project page in the manual to warn about this.

-- Bill
billw58
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:57 pm

Is this a good place to urge strongly work on the Project Unitary File System?

How many shows need to go into the can before a change to the Project format becomes important? I'm looking for a number, not a philosophy.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:14 pm

billw58 wrote:
Gale Andrews wrote:You should never copy the AUP file and _data folder into the same folder. This will destroy your project after you open the copy a couple of times.

Whoa! How can that happen? If this is true we need to update the Audacity project page in the manual to warn about this.

Of course it is true. I say it on the Forum every time people hand copy in the same folder or are thinking about it. I agree I have not tested if Paul's changes for 2.2.0-alpha stop the data loss but it is still a crazy idea to copy into the same folder - you get different names for the files and folders and misreferenced _data folder in the AUP file.

It is in the Manual - see https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/audacity_projects.html#save and scroll down to "Saving copies of projects". Also see https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/faq_opening_and_saving_files.html#backup.

James and Peter wanted only yellow advice divs on the Projects page so the warning is toned down there.

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:44 pm

bill58 wrote:
Gale Andrews wrote: You should never copy the AUP file and _data folder into the same folder. This will destroy your project after you open the copy a couple of times.

Perhaps we misunderstand what you mean Gale.

For example, if I have a folder where I archive my Audacity projects called:
Code: Select all
some-path/audacity-projects/

and I have a project somewhere else on my computer called "my-project", then I have a file called "my-project.aup" and a folder called "my-project_data".

Is it not perfectly OK for me to move "my-project.aup" and "my-project_data" into "some-path/audacity-projects/" so that I have:
some-path/audacity-projects/my-project.aup
some-path/audacity-projects/my-project_data

provided that any dependencies remain accessible (and preferable for portability that dependencies are copied into the project).
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:22 pm

steve wrote:
bill58 wrote:
Gale Andrews wrote: You should never copy the AUP file and _data folder into the same folder. This will destroy your project after you open the copy a couple of times.

Perhaps we misunderstand what you mean Gale.

For example, if I have a folder where I archive my Audacity projects called:
some-path/audacity-projects/

and I have a project somewhere else on my computer called "my-project", then I have a file called "my-project.aup" and a folder called "my-project_data".

Is it not perfectly OK for me to move "my-project.aup" and "my-project_data" into "some-path/audacity-projects/" so that I have:
some-path/audacity-projects/my-project.aup
some-path/audacity-projects/my-project_data

provided that any dependencies remain accessible (and preferable for portability that dependencies are copied into the project).

Do you mean it is perfectly OK?

What I am talking about is users not knowing Save Project As and (an example on my computer), selecting
in Explorer:
C:\Goldwave1_click_at_end.aup
C:\Goldwave1_click_at_end_data

Then copy those two items and paste into C:\ then open the copied AUP a couple of times or perhaps other combinations. Then users say they lost all the AU files. I say, just don't do it.

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:29 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:Do you mean it is perfectly OK?

I mean that I thought it was perfectly OK to do what I described, but you appear to be saying that it's not OK.

I can see that it's not OK to do what I described during and open and active editing session, but that would be rather a daft thing to do wouldn't it?
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:50 pm

steve wrote:
Gale Andrews wrote:Do you mean it is perfectly OK?

I mean that I thought it was perfectly OK to do what I described, but you appear to be saying that it's not OK.

No, I think it's fine to do what you described if you know what you are doing but I misparsed it because you actually asked a question but did not punctuate with a question mark.

You can even leave the project dependent on an aliased file as long as long as you leave the alias where it is.

steve wrote:I can see that it's not OK to do what I described during and open and active editing session, but that would be rather a daft thing to do wouldn't it?

Indeed, you should close the project before doing a manual copy into your master folder for Audacity projects, to avoid orphan block files. You are moving into a different folder than the one where the project folder was before, and that is an intended benefit of the system.

I think it is still safer for a noob to use Save Project As to move the project, but then it is arguably more confusing to do that. A project manager where you could also delete projects would be more friendly.

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:30 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:I think it is still safer for a noob to use Save Project As to move the project

"Save Project As" is certainly important, so good to promote as a way of working. It's arguably the only safe way to rename a project.
steve
Site Admin

Next

Return to Mac OS X