overlaying tracks

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

overlaying tracks

Permanent link to this post Posted by ClarityCoaching » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:09 pm

I am new to using Audacity. How do I overlay 4 tracks so that they play simultaneously. I have each track separately recorded and saved. Also, how do I import an mp3 file to play simultaneously over the verbal track? Thanks
ClarityCoaching

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: overlaying tracks

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:53 pm

ClarityCoaching wrote:How do I overlay 4 tracks so that they play simultaneously. I have each track separately recorded and saved ...

You can drag-n-drop multiple tracks into Audacity ...

Drag-n-Drop files into Audacity.gif
click on this image to see it in its entirety
Drag-n-Drop files into Audacity.gif (725.23 KiB) Viewed 202 times

The tracks will play simultaneously.
With multiple-tracks you'll probably have to reduce the gain-slider on each of the tracks,
as otherwise their combined volume will be too much and cause clipping distortion.

With multiple tracks playing at the same time you'll probably be in need of Audacity's envelope tool to vary the volume ...

Trebor

Operating System: Windows Vista

Return to Mac OS X