Differentiating tracks w/something other than labels

Hello! I’m on a Mac Air, up to date with Sierra 10.12.3, using Audacity 2.1.3.

I’m trying to find a way to make my tracks identifiable at a glance. If I understand correctly, the only way to label a track is to add the small label track (cntr-B). But moving an audio track doesn’t move the corresponding label track.

I have four separate tracks of talk, one above another. I need some way to make the tracks stand out from one another in a way that’s integral to the track - that is, if I move a track down, it doesn’t leave its only marker stranded somewhere else on the page, which I may or may not remember to move down with the track.

Is there a way to name or label a track that’s integrated into the track itself? A different color, some notation inside the track controls to the left of the track itself? Or maybe a way to bond the label track to a specific audio track, so they always move together?

Thanks!

Every audio track has a track name. By default it is “Audio Track”, but you can set it to whatever you want: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/audio_track_dropdown_menu.html

Track names can also be displayed in the audio track itself. See “Show audio track name as overlay” http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tracks_preferences.html

Steve, I’m so sorry to be rude not responding to you faster! I’ll need to check my spam bucket, in case the alert that I’d received a response ended up there. I just happened to check back.

Thanks for the info! That’s exactly what I was looking for. Much obliged!

In the next 2.2.0 version of Audacity when released, you can drag the label track with the audio track (using Time Shift Tool) but not vice-versa.

Note: This will be with Sync-Lock-Tracks turned on.

Gale

Thanks, Gale! (And now I’m getting my response notifications, too. All is well with the world. :wink:

I just clarified above that dragging the label track with the audio track in 2.2.0 will require Sync-Lock-Tracks on.

Gale