Installing Audacity 2.1.3 on iMac

Hi,
Is it necessary to uninstall/remove the older version 2.1.2 before installing v 2.1.3 ort will they interfere with each other? I some cases programs works as separate apps at different versions. I like to keep v 2.1.2 as it works ok for my needs in case I get troubles with 2.1.3.

I use latest updated Mac OS Sierra 10.12.5

Best regards,
/Thomas Rooth

2.1.2 and 2.1.3 won’t interfere with each other in operational terms, but 2.1.3 is an all-in-one application with no folder.

So to avoid confusion I suggest renaming your Audacity folder that has 2.1.2 to "Audacity 2.1.2 " or similar if you have not already done so.

Then create a new folder “Audacity 2.1.3” or similar in /Applications and drag Audacity from the 2.1.3 installer DMG into the “Audacity 2.1.3” folder.

If you rename the 2.1.2 folder you may have to deal in 2.1.3 with non-Nyquist plugins from 2.1.2 that cannot be found. Or if you did not rename the 2.1.2 folder you may have to deal with duplicate plugins. This is explained at http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/installing_and_updating_audacity_on_mac_os_x.html#plugins.

The best advice is to move any plugins you added yourself into the 2.1.2 Plug-Ins folder to ~/Library/Application Support/audacity/Plug-Ins then delete the pluginregistry.cfg file in ~/Library/Application Support/audacity/. Then in 2.1.3, choose the plugins you want to enable at Effect > Add/Remove Plug-Ins… .

If you subsequently run 2.1.2 after 2.1.3 you will see duplicate copies of the shipped plugins but you can clean up duplicates at any time by deleting pluginregistry.cfg when you decide which version of Audacity you are going to use.

Gale

Dear Gale,

Thanks for a really quick reply! I will follow your advise when installing 2.1.3 version.
As I don’t have any imported plug-ins I don’t have to face the problem you describe. The only problem I have, so far, with Audacity is to handle the Click Remover. I quite often doesn’t succeed to remove a click with a typical peak of 0,25 of the amplitude scale and with a duration of approx 50 samples. I’ve tried to adjust the sensitivity of the threshold value and the spike width without succeeding to remove the click. The spike is clearly defined without any surrounding signal except noise. Probably I do not fully understand to use the tool!

Thanks again for your excellent support
/Thomas

If you have 2.1.2 and 2.1.3 in separate folders and run 2.1.2 after 2.1.3, or run 2.1.3 without deleting pluginregistry.cfg, you will still see duplicate copies of the shipped plugins. These are the plugins that are underneath the divider in the Effect Menu.

But when you decide which version of Audacity to use, you can delete pluginregistry.cfg to clean up the duplicates.

Have you read Click Removal - Audacity Manual? Try selecting more audio either side of the click.

If that does not help, use the Repair effect instead (it is limited to a selection of 128 samples): Repair - Audacity Manual.

Please start a new topic about repairing clicks if you want to discuss it some more.

Thanks,

Gale