Please help! Cannot get Audacity to receive audio from mic

Hi -

I am new to the world of podcasting and I am trying to record some stuff directly into Audacity. I am certainly not a tech wiz, but i think I can hold my own in general in tech stuff. That said, I am completely stumped and beyond frustrated with this.

I got a new mic with XLR plug, and I got a Zoom H5 recorder which also doubles as a USB interface for audio. The recorder works great as a standalone recorder, but I cannot for the life of me get it to work as a USB interface. I have the H5 plugged into my USB port on my computer (Mac OS X 10.11.2), mic plugged into the H5. When turning the H5 on when plugged into the computer, it asks if I want it to act as an SD Card Reader (i.e. to transfer recordings from the SD card to the computer), or as an audio interface. I select audio interface. The computer recognizes the H5 as an audio interface. I go to System Preferences, then Sound, and I see the H5 unit popping up in both the Output and Input Menus. When I am in the input menu, I select the H5 as the input and I see that the computer is accepting audio from the mic, because when I speak into the mic, the Input level jumps. When i tap the mic, the input level jumps. So my computer is definitely recognizing the audio input from my mic.

But when I go into Audacity (2.1.3), no matter what I do, the application does not seem to recognize any of the audio coming from the mic. On the Device Toolbar on Audacity, I have “H5” selected as my recording device, not the Built-In Microphone which is the other option. Am I crazy??? What am I missing? the other settings I have on the Device Toolbar are “Core Audio” for the Audio Host, 1 (mono recording channel) and “Built-in Output” for my playback device.

Does anyone have any ideas why this would be or how to fix this? Thanks soooooo much!!

Please describe then what does happen when you choose the H5 as Audacity recording device then record. Is the red recording cursor stuck and the blue Pause button engaged? If so, uncheck Transport > Sound Activated Recording.

Gale

the other settings I have on the Device Toolbar are “Core Audio” for the Audio Host, 1 (mono recording channel) and “Built-in Output” for my playback device.

I think the H5 may be sending more than one channel. Crossing the number of channels can cause problems. Set Audacity for stereo (two channel) and see what happens. The system meters will not tell you how many sound channels there are.

Koz

Apparently Zoom Handy Recorders cannot be used as USB audio interfaces with Audacity for Mac due to the issue described here:

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/asio_audio_interface.html

It does work in GarageBand as well as other DAWs that I’ll probably never own due to their cost.