Extracting mp4 to mp3

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Extracting mp4 to mp3

Permanent link to this post Posted by Ktolley2017 » Mon May 15, 2017 2:59 pm

I can extract the audio from an mp4 file in Quick Time, but when I export the file into Audacity I can't save it in mp3 format. The Audacity online manual has confused the crap out of me so if you reply do not refer me back to it. I need easy to follow instructions in plain English. There is something called a "Lame" file that I am unable to install. Beyond that I am clueless.
Ktolley2017

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: Extracting mp4 to mp3

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon May 15, 2017 6:56 pm

MP3 is, or was, a copyrighted process of Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft. Making an MP3 is not free.

"Lame" is a home-brew, free, work-alike software package that you can add to Audacity to create MP3s from your work.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/inst ... ml#maclame

There's too many branches and variations to write this myself. This seems pretty clear. Go through it and write back if you get stuck.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Re: Extracting mp4 to mp3

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon May 15, 2017 7:55 pm

Ktolley2017 wrote:I can extract the audio from an mp4 file in Quick Time, but when I export the file into Audacity I can't save it in mp3 format. The Audacity online manual has confused the crap out of me so if you reply do not refer me back to it. I need easy to follow instructions in plain English. There is something called a "Lame" file that I am unable to install. Beyond that I am clueless.

How much clearer can it be? What error exactly do you see when you install?

The LAME 3.99.5 installer was extensively tested before we recommended it. Make sure you are using that installer. If you see an error about "from an unidentified developer" or "can't be opened", please do what it says in the instructions:
If you receive a warning that the package cannot be opened, right-click or CTRL-click the package, choose "Open", then click "Open".

Or export as WAV and convert to MP3 in iTunes: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tutorial_exporting_to_itunes.html#conversion.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Return to Mac OS X