project and data folder not matching up

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

project and data folder not matching up

Permanent link to this post Posted by newpodcaster » Fri May 12, 2017 11:03 am

Hi there

I’m using Audacity 2.1.3 and my computer is a MacBook Pro, running macOS Sierra version 10.12.4

I saved my project right before Audacity crashed, and when I opened it there were no “recent projects.” And when I try to open up the project that has the .aup at the end, a window pops up that says “Project check of “Project 1 copy_data” folder detected 311 missing audio data (.au) blockfile(s), probably due to a bug, system crash, or accidental deletion. There is no way for Audacity to recover these missing files automatically.”

The data folder is right there next to the icon for the project on my desktop. I think it’s confused because I moved it to a folder not realizing that would change anything. But I put it back on the desktop. I just don’t know how to proceed from here. The advice in the manual doesn't specify how to make the project and the data match up manually. I’ve put a couple hours of work into this recording so it would really suck to have to do it all again. Can you please help me recover it??

Thanks,
Jessie
newpodcaster

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: project and data folder not matching up

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Fri May 12, 2017 2:00 pm

newpodcaster wrote:I’m using Audacity 2.1.3 and my computer is a MacBook Pro, running macOS Sierra version 10.12.4

I saved my project right before Audacity crashed

To help us debug the problem, did Audacity crash while actually saving? And was that Save or Save Project As?

Or were you doing something else for example cutting in one track and pasting into another that caused the crash?

Can you provide the Mac crash report ? It should be in /Applications/Utilities/Console.app.

If you saw the Audacity Debug Report dialogue, please provide the ZIP file that was created. Please see how to attach files to forum posts.

newpodcaster wrote:and when I opened it there were no “recent projects.” And when I try to open up the project that has the .aup at the end, a window pops up that says “Project check of “Project 1 copy_data” folder detected 311 missing audio data (.au) blockfile(s), probably due to a bug, system crash, or accidental deletion. There is no way for Audacity to recover these missing files automatically.”

The data folder is right there next to the icon for the project on my desktop. I think it’s confused because I moved it to a folder not realizing that would change anything. But I put it back on the desktop.

You must never separate the AUP file and its _data folder.

Never copy the AUP file and _data folder by hand into the same folder. This will likely corrupt both projects as soon as you open them. File > Save Project As... to make a copy of a project.

newpodcaster wrote:I just don’t know how to proceed from here. The advice in the manual doesn't specify how to make the project and the data match up manually. I’ve put a couple hours of work into this recording so it would really suck to have to do it all again. Can you please help me recover it??

Open Help > Show Log... . Search your computer for the names of some .AU files listed in the log as missing. If you find them, put them back in the exact subfolder mentioned in the log.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Return to Mac OS X