How do I write-protect a particular track?

How do I write-protect a particular track?

I have the track selected, and then I go to the Tracks menu, but don’t see what I’m looking for.

You don’t, in Audacity.

What are you trying to do, exactly? Make a copy protected CD, for example? Export the track as WAV then prevent other users on the computer using that WAV?

Gale

I started with just one track, a recording of a conversation between me and another person. Now I want to created another track that consists of just my voice and then another track consisting of her voice. So, first I created another track which will have only my voice. Now I’m going to cut&paste the sections that are just my voice from track 1 to track 2. As I do this, I want track 1 to be write protected or locked such that I don’t modify it as I’m working.

I’ve started with one track. I’ve created another, empty track. I will copy&paste bit from track 1 to track 2. As I do so, I want track 1 to be locked so I don’t inadvertently make any changes to it.

There is no locking for individual tracks. We generally recommend exporting a WAV sound file of anything critical. If it’s multiple tracks, select each track and File > Export Selected.

Past that, Audacity can’t help you with surveillance, evidence production or law enforcement.

Koz

surveillance, evidence production or law enforcement.
The what now? How did you get to there?

Is the inability a conscious design decision? Is it not something needed often?

I don’t remember another request for locking a track. The other elves may have.

a recording of a conversation between me and another person.

You have all the markings of someone preparing a deposition, an evidence display or conflict presentation.

Koz

Nope. You’ve had 3 law-related guesses. Try 3 others, less weighty.

I’ve got a better idea: Rather than us guessing, why don’t you tell us what exactly you are trying to do?

To “protect” the track, you could make a backup copy of the track. To do that, select the track, then “File menu > Export Selected Audio”, and give the file a unique name. As double insurance, you could make the backup “read only” (https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18894?locale=en_US)

Locking a track to prevent any editing has been asked for just once before. Note this would prevent you cutting, which is what you said first time.

There have been more requests that that to prevent accidentally time shifting a track. Is that what your concern is?

Gale