Unable to access/adjust Bass Treble,No Stereo,Too Distorted

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Re: Unable to access/adjust Bass Treble,No Stereo,Too Distor

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:51 pm

Linux (not Linus) is not an application, it's an operating system, like Windows.

There are several hundred version of Linux. Ubuntu is one of the most user-friendly.

You could buy Windows 10 from Microsoft: https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Windows-10-Home/productID.319937100.

If you want to dual boot between macOS and another operating system, choosing one or the other at boot, Windows is much easier because Apple Boot Camp lets you install Windows and then handles the dual boot for you.

Linux would be a better option if you wanted to buy a new machine, but there is a way to Dual Boot Linux on a Mac or to install Ubuntu on Mac using Boot Camp which also lets you dual boot into Ubuntu.

Another way to is to run Windows or Linux inside macOS as a "Virtual Machine". But then you have to install a virtual machine for Mac and make sure it can run Linux (not all can). A virtual machine uses RAM and can slow up the computer.

You can also run many Linux distributions like Ubuntu from a Live CD without installing them. This will use up RAM like the virtual machine and probably make the computer even slower.

We can't help you with any of the above. It would be simpler to turn the gain down on the Presonus input, in my opinion.

Gale

Gforce1000 wrote:Thanks for the info -I have a new question: what is the most secure site for downloading the Linus program you speak of? Exactly what Linus program should I look for? While we're on the subject, if I wanted to use Windows I have the same question: what is the most secure site and exactly which program or version will go with my current set up? - G -
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gforce1000 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:55 pm

To begin with, I think of all the choices you gave me for solving this problem ( for which I thank you ), turning down the Gain on the Presonus sounds like the best solution. Just one problem: I have absolutely no idea how to do that, as there is nothing on my screen that even has that title - let alone an adjustment for it. - G -
Gforce1000

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:16 pm

Gforce1000 wrote:turning down the Gain on the Presonus sounds like the best solution. Just one problem: I have absolutely no idea how to do that

The gain control is a knob on the front of the device. For more information, refer to the Presonus manual http://www.presonus.com/products/AudioBox-USB/downloads
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gforce1000 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:26 pm

Okay, I will make this short and sweet: I went to the Presonus website you indicated where I saw at least a half-dozen or so programs I can download. Here's the problem: I have no idea WHICH of those programs will best suit my needs - in addition, supposedly the device comes with its own software that allows you to mix, adjust volume levels, etc. Unfortunately not only do I have no idea how to access this (there was no owner's manual in the box when I opened it), but, I do not know if said program is compatible with Audacity! Bottom line: I STILL am unable to transfer my LP's to Digital without too high volume, distortion, etc. P.S. Good luck trying to get someone on the phone at Presonus!
Gforce1000

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu May 11, 2017 10:31 pm

Gforce1000 wrote: I have no idea WHICH of those programs will best suit my needs

I didn't say anything about downloading a program. My suggestion was that you downloaded the owners manual.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Fri May 12, 2017 12:13 am

Why is it so hard to turn a knob? Look at the front of the Audiobox. There are two input connections numbered 1 and 2. Decide whether you have the cable connected to input 1 or 2. If you are connected to 1, turn knob number 1 leftwards. If you are connected to 2, turn knob number 2 leftwards.

If you need the control software, "Universal Control 2.0.2 - Mac" (the current version) is the best one to try. It says it is for Mountain Lion, Mavericks, Yosemite, El Capitan, and Sierra. According to what you wrote you are on El Capitan so it should be compatible.

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gforce1000 » Fri May 12, 2017 4:50 pm

Okay, let me be clear: I went to the website you originally indicated - there was nothing about an owner's manual - just various software programs I could download. Next, I turned the knobs in question - guess what happened? Absolutely nothing! The volume is still too high and did not go down one iota, same with the distortion. However, I do appreciate your responding to my issue as quickly as you have and I thank you for that. - G -
Gforce1000

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gforce1000 » Fri May 12, 2017 4:52 pm

Also, exactly what site do I go to in order to download that control software you mentioned?
Gforce1000

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gforce1000 » Fri May 12, 2017 5:13 pm

Update: I went back to the site and discovered I had clicked on the wrong icon - I now have the owner's manual as well as the universal control you indicated. I'll get back to you as necessary.
Gforce1000

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Fri May 12, 2017 5:35 pm

As I said, one useful piece of debugging you could try would be to listen to the output of the pre-amplifier. Is that too loud/distorted?

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

PreviousNext

Return to Mac OS X