Unable to access/adjust Bass Treble,No Stereo,Too Distorted

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Unable to access/adjust Bass Treble,No Stereo,Too Distorted

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gforce1000 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:48 am

This problem applies to both 2.1.1 and 2.1.3 versions. I am running Mac OS X 10.11.6 - the problems are as follows: 1) I cannot access the Bass/Treble controls from Export or ANY OTHER tab on the Menu 2) The playback is too loud and nothing I do will change the volume level 3) The playback comes out in Mono when I want Stereo 4) The playback is distorted 5) I have no way to change / adjust the sound quality of my playback or recording. I am attempting to transfer LP (Vinyl) to Digital for ultimate transfer to itunes playlist. I am using a Technics Direct Drive Automatic Turntable model SL-D2 with a Pickering V-15 needle connected to an Audiobox USB, which is connected to a BBE Phono Preamp model FJB200X. Although I think it may be a waste of time, would it make sense to just buy a new receiver and hook the turntable to it and THEN to the Audiobox USB, or perhaps even directly to my computer?
Gforce1000

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: Unable to access/adjust Bass Treble,No Stereo,Too Distor

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:25 am

I expect what you got should work a lot better than it does.

So you have a good quality conventional analog turntable, right? You have two RCA cables coming out the bottom and a thin black wire with a fork terminal. It is required you connect those to a phono preamplifier with RIAA processing and a place to put the thin black (ground or shield) wire. If I believe your posting, you got the equipment out of order.

A conventional phono cartridge does not deliver clear, perfect sound. It has very specific tonal shifts and volume errors. It sounds low volume with no bass. The phono preamplifier fixes that.

Not having stereo is a different problem. Did you install the cartridge? There's a way to wire a cartridge wrong and get effects like this.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:26 pm

Gforce1000 wrote:1) I cannot access the Bass/Treble controls from Export or ANY OTHER tab on the Menu

Are you talking about the Bass and Treble effect in Audacity? To use that, press the yellow Stop button then select some audio before accessing the Effect menu.

Note that Macs do not let you control the input volume of most USB Audio Devices. So you have to adjust the gain on the Presonus.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gforce1000 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:03 pm

To begin with, thank you for helping me with this issue. I discovered that I can only access Bass / Treble AFTER I have made an initial recording - also, I found out I needed a new cartridge + some minor repairs to my turntable. Having said that, I have a NEW problem: I CANNOT Export my music to Itunes. Now, before you say: "go to the website and download the ffpmeg program, etc." - I tried that but, a pop-up window appeared saying that Apple WOULD NOT accept or open Apps from vendors not part of Apple! So, my new question is: how can I get around this so that the music I have recorded from L.P. can be exported to Itunes? Okay class, anybody know the solution to this problem?
Gforce1000

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gforce1000 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:38 pm

The recording volume is too high which is creating Distortion and, there is NO pop-down on the menu that addresses distortion. It also says that I cannot adjust the recording volume without a system mixer - what is that and, how can I adjust the recording volume level??
Last edited by Gale Andrews on Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed expletive
Gforce1000

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gforce1000 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:50 pm

Unfortunately, I have no idea what you mean by "adjusting the gain on the Presonus" - could you be more specific? Keeping in mind that the problem is the recording volume is too high which is creating distortion and, I am unable to change the recording volume at all. I get a pop-up that says I need a system mixer - whatever that is...
Gforce1000

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:32 am

Please do not use bad language on this Forum. I removed your expletive.

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:36 am

Gforce1000 wrote:Unfortunately, I have no idea what you mean by "adjusting the gain on the Presonus" - could you be more specific?

I mean turn the gain down on the Presonus for the input you have the phono preamplifier connected to. Is the Presonus not the final link to the computer in your recording setup?

More debugging - plug some headphones into the 1/4 inch TRS out of the pre-amplifier. Is that distorted? It shouldn't be.

Or use Windows or Linux which give you a system control for adjusting the recording level on USB devices. Because Mac usually gives you no such control, Audacity disables its recording volume slider for such a USB device. The resulting message to use the system mixer is a generic message. On Mac you don't actually have a system control for the Presonus.

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:57 am

Gforce1000 wrote:I have a NEW problem: I CANNOT Export my music to Itunes.

Please see Tutorial - Exporting to iTunes. At the bottom it shows you how to export direct to your iTunes library.

Gforce1000 wrote: Now, before you say: "go to the website and download the ffpmeg program, etc." - I tried that but, a pop-up window appeared saying that Apple WOULD NOT accept or open Apps from vendors not part of Apple! So, my new question is: how can I get around this

In the FFmpeg 2.2.2 DMG there is a file "README CAN'T OPEN PKG.rtfd". That gives you the answer as follows:
Right-click or CONTROL-click on “ffmpeg-mac-2.2.2.pkg” then choose “Open” then click “Open” again to always allow this package to run.

Alternatively, open System Preferences, then click the “Security and Privacy” icon. You should see a message that “ffmpeg-
mac-2.2.2.pkg” was blocked. Click “Open Anyway” to always allow this package to run.

This does not seem to be mentioned in the FFmpeg for Mac FAQ so I will add it for the next release of Audacity.

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gforce1000 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:51 am

Thanks for the info -I have a new question: what is the most secure site for downloading the Linus program you speak of? Exactly what Linus program should I look for? While we're on the subject, if I wanted to use Windows I have the same question: what is the most secure site and exactly which program or version will go with my current set up? - G -
Gforce1000

Next

Return to Mac OS X