2.1.2 - Export Unsigned 8bit - STATIC [SOLVED]

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at http://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

2.1.2 - Export Unsigned 8bit - STATIC [SOLVED]

Permanent link to this post Posted by phloid01 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:49 pm

hey everyone .. when I attempt to export to Unsigned 8bit ... generic export, nothing special .. no mods, no alterations, just record and export ... there is all of this static all over. The recordings are fine, export to any other format is fine, just when I export to this generic Unsigned 8bit version ..... and the vendor (Comcast) requires this format, so I can't just give them another format ... I have attached a sample
Attachments
test1.wav
Notice the static all over .. no modifications, amplification, gain, nothing .. in Audacity sounds great, and exported any other format sounds great ... HELP
(482.44 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
phloid01

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: 2.1.2 - Export Unsigned 8bit - STATIC

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:09 pm

The file plays fine in Audacity on Windows and Mac. I suggest you ask Comcast for further details of the format that they actually require. Perhaps they meant to ask you for U-Law or A-Law which is automatically 8-bit.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: 2.1.2 - Export Unsigned 8bit - STATIC

Permanent link to this post Posted by phloid01 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:49 pm

Hey Gale .. figured out the answer .. it was mostly just me being a bonehead user.

Yes .. they require a u-law, 8Khz, 8-bit, mono configured wav file .. I was not properly setting it to 8000 (8K), and was not exporting out as u-law, in the other compressed formats. Once I did this, all of my changes were there properly, and the static was gone. Happy customer .. and I now can easily do this for any of my Business Voice Edge (BVE) customers. You didn't really answer my question, but you did force me to look inside and seek the answer, so thank you :D
phloid01

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: 2.1.2 - Export Unsigned 8bit - STATIC [SOLVED]

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:20 pm

We couldn't answer your question until you got back from Comcast to tell us the format they actually wanted. And U-Law can be 6000 Hz or 8000 Hz. But we did guess what base format they wanted.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Return to Mac OS X