Audacity crashes

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Re: Audacity crashes

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:15 am

rgnewsman wrote:I just got a new audio interface RME Babyface Pro that I'd like to use with Audacity, but I'm getting some serious latency issues. I'm running this through a MacBook Air running Mac OS Sierra 10.12.1. I'm using Audacity 2.1.3. The Sample rate is running at 44,100Hz. My microphone (Sennheiser 416) is plugged into the interface and the interface is plug into the laptop by USB. Any ideas on how to resolve the latency issue. s

So no problem with crashing or freezing now?
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:35 pm

rgnewsman wrote:I just got a new audio interface RME Babyface Pro that I'd like to use with Audacity, but I'm getting some serious latency issues. I'm running this through a MacBook Air running Mac OS Sierra 10.12.1. I'm using Audacity 2.1.3. The Sample rate is running at 44,100Hz. My microphone (Sennheiser 416) is plugged into the interface and the interface is plug into the laptop by USB. Any ideas on how to resolve the latency issue. s

Please use more words to describe the latency issue.

Set Babyface as the Audacity playback and recording device and monitor by plugging headphones into the Babyface. Turn off Transport > Software Playthrough in Audacity. That should deal with playthrough latency.

Are you recording overdubs on top of a track already in Audacity and the new track does not line up with the previous one? If so, that is recording latency. Here is how to set Audacity up to correct for that: Latency Test.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by rgnewsman » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:12 pm

Gale,
I ran the first aide program on the Mac Mini sierra operating system and that seemed to correct the problem. I love Audacity and it is now working with Sierra. Thank you so much for your help. My other problem is with the new audio interface (Babyface Pro) I'm using on a MacBook Air laptop which I wrote you about earlier. There's a bad latency problem. I'll be anxious to hear about a possible solution. Again, many thanks.
rgnewsman

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:18 pm

rgnewsman wrote:I ran the first aide program on the Mac Mini sierra operating system and that seemed to correct the problem.

You mean, that solved the crashing problem you had at first?

rgnewsman wrote:My other problem is with the new audio interface (Babyface Pro) I'm using on a MacBook Air laptop which I wrote you about earlier. There's a bad latency problem. I'll be anxious to hear about a possible solution.

Did you see my reply http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?p=326611#p326611 ? There are two types of latency, "playthrough latency" when you hear yourself late when you are monitoring the recording, and "recording latency" which makes a second recorded track misaligned with the first track. I described how to address both.

If my answer does not solve the problem, please describe the exact symptoms of "bad latency". Perhaps you refer to something other than latency.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by cyrano » Fri May 19, 2017 8:34 am

The 10.12.5 update for Sierra has been available since a few days. It's supposed to fix problems with USB and Bluetooth audio, especially for USB mics and headsets.

Get it while it's warm!
cyrano

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Previous

Return to Mac OS X