Constant Volume Level amongst Tracks

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at http://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Constant Volume Level amongst Tracks

Permanent link to this post Posted by ronin81 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:27 pm

Hi All,

I'm doing audio readings from a book for a project I'm working in. They are being recorded on my iPhone7 via Voice Record Pro, uploaded to my Google Drive, then downloaded to my Macbook where I tweak them with Audacity. Each track is a specific line entry in the table of contents, so in the end I'll have about 70ish individual tracks.

I record in a quiet room at work, but I do not have a "standard" setup (normally I'm just holding the phone near me, so every day it's *slightly* different). I know it's not optimal, but it's just for personal use, and so far the audio quality has been pretty decent after applying the below changes, which I do with each track:

Noise Reduction --> (w/ quiet section)
Amplify --> (individually for each file)
[Custom Chain] (see pic)

However, one thing I've noticed is slight volume differences track to track. For the most part these aren't too bad, but from a user experience I'd still like to be able to find one kind of "constant" volume level that every track is at, w/o clipping.

What's the easiest way to do this, considering every track is recorded at a slightly different volume? (Depending on how monotone I'm being that morning, how far away the phone is, etc.)

Best,
A
Attachments
Audacity.jpeg
Audacity.jpeg (75.27 KiB) Viewed 75 times
ronin81

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: Constant Volume Level amongst Tracks

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:22 pm

You could try the plugin ReplayGain. See Installing Nyquist plug-ins on Mac.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by ronin81 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:44 pm

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Now for another noob question -

The first part of it says, 'Import all of the tracks for the compilation into Audacity.'

How do we do this, w/ all tracks in one Window? When I've imported them before (I've only been using Audacity for about a week), they come in as if they're back tracks to be mixed together.

Is there a way to see them each separately as individual sequential containers vs. just arranging them horizontally in a single master track or diagonally spacing them out as each track ends?
ronin81

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:09 pm

ronin81 wrote:The first part of it says, 'Import all of the tracks for the compilation into Audacity.'

How do we do this, w/ all tracks in one Window? When I've imported them before (I've only been using Audacity for about a week), they come in as if they're back tracks to be mixed together.

Is there a way to see them each separately as individual sequential containers vs. just arranging them horizontally in a single master track or diagonally spacing them out as each track ends?

After import, Edit > Select > All then Tracks > Align Tracks > Align End to End. See http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tracks_menu.html#align.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Return to Mac OS X