Suddenly Exporting is 100X Longer

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at http://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Suddenly Exporting is 100X Longer

Permanent link to this post Posted by Austin_Podcaster » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:23 pm

My podcasts run about 30 minutes. Same presets, same everything. Nothing has changed. Everything has always been edited in WAV 16 and then the finished product is exported to MP3. Never an issue. I have need to adding a 20 second clip on the front of several of these episodes. Ive tried two ways. The short Wav file + MP3 and converting the short wav to an MP3+ the MP3. In both cases, when I try to export the file, I get all the same prompts, but now, it states it will take 8-13 hours to render. It normally takes a few minutes.

I could really use some help on this, as this issue is impacting a lot of deadlines.

Thanks!
Austin_Podcaster

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: Suddenly Exporting is 100X Longer

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:05 am

Producing work with MP3s as the source material is like making photocopies of photocopies. The quality deteriorates with each generation. Much better to work with uncompressed WAV files.

1) Import the 20 second clip WAV file.
2) Import the podcast WAV file
3) Use the Time Shift tool to drag the podcast to the right so that it begins after the 20 second clip.
4) Export as MP3.

I vaguely recall hearing of a minor bug for some users when exporting in some formats, where the time countdown for the export is wrong, so that it looks like a 2 minute export will take 3 hours, but if you let it run it completes in 2 minutes. I don't recall other details, but try letting the export run, it may just be the countdown that's wrong.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Operating System: Linux Debian

Permanent link to this post Posted by Austin_Podcaster » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:47 pm

Exporting everything as a wav, then reimporting the one file to reexport as an MP3 worked. I think thats what you said, lol, but it worked. Thanks!
Austin_Podcaster

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:02 pm

steve wrote:I vaguely recall hearing of a minor bug for some users when exporting in some formats, where the time countdown for the export is wrong, so that it looks like a 2 minute export will take 3 hours, but if you let it run it completes in 2 minutes. I don't recall other details, but try letting the export run, it may just be the countdown that's wrong.

Yes, it's this problem
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Release_Notes_2.1.2#Exports

and it is fixed in the upcoming 2.1.3 release.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Return to Mac OS X