Horizontal scroll.

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at http://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Horizontal scroll.

Permanent link to this post Posted by jjsparey » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:48 pm

I'm scrolling horizontally through 2hrs and 15 minutes of audio looking for bird calls. At the moment I'm using shift+mouse wheel but it's not long before my fingers get tired (at which point I turn the mouse over and roll it along the desk).

Is there an easier to horizontal scroll than this? something like holding down a forwards key or something less mechanical than having to constantly rotate the mouse wheel?

Thanks.
jjsparey

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: Horizontal scroll.

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:54 pm

Try the dot and comma keys (the keys with the "<" and ">" characters).
On their own they do a "short jump" left / right (default 1 s at a time).
With the shift key held down they do a "long jump" left / right (default 15 s at a time).
The length of the jumps is configurable in "Preferences > Playback" (these "jumps" can also be used while playing the audio).
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Operating System: Linux Debian

Re: Horizontal scroll.

Permanent link to this post Posted by jjsparey » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:32 pm

I reckon that's solved the problem.

Now instead of a scrolling timeline, which can be tiresome to watch, it's a series of short static screens. Shift+> at the right zoom level seems to work well.

Thanks, Steve. That's going to make a big difference. Much appreciated.
jjsparey

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Return to Mac OS X