Monitor Volume

I’m using Mac OS X 10.7.5 and Audacity 2.0.3…

Can I reduce the monitor volume (i.e. the sound I hear during recording) without reducing recording volume? If so, how? I want to be able to listen while recording, but not at as high a level (it blasts my ears!) as I need for a good recording.

I thought I could do it by moving the Audacity output volume slider toward the “-” end, but when I do that the recording volume goes down. I’ve also tried lowering the Mac’s speaker volume using the volume control icon in the toolbar at the top of the screen, but doing that also reduces the recording volume.

If you have SoundFlower set up right, you should be able to do it with the Audacity Speaker volume control.

The computer volume control is part of the show, but the Audacity playback volume control is completely independent and you can squirt that anywhere you want in Audacity Preferences…like the speakers.

Koz

Thanks, Koz…that did it…probably when I moved the slider, I moved the one next to the microphone symbol by mistake which, of course, changes the input level…